Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan default help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan default help

I have two private student loans in default with Chase. I have been able to afford to pay for one of them completely(it's 15k) though they first offered me to buyout at 10k when I first went into default. I wanted to know if it were possible to still maintain that 10k amount when I reach out to them? Does anyone have any tips or information?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Student loan default help

When a loan defaults, the lender balances the risk of receiving no money, the cost/liklihood of getting a judgment and using garnishment to get their money, and the amount that they feel like they could get from an immediate settlement offer with the borrower.  If your loan is still in the statute of limitations, they may be inclined to ask for a higher settlement offer if they know you currently have a job, because garnishment through a judgment is still an option.  If the debt is close to the end of the SoL, or past it, they'll probably take a much lower amount.

You can also negotiate the way the account appears on your credit report, so you should ask if they are willing to update the account to positive, or remove the collection account entirely (if there is one) along with the settlement offer.

You can find a lot of information about settlement offers in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum.  Private student loans are subject to the same laws as other installment debt (with the exception that it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy(, so you can look at other people's experiences with unsecured debt to inform your plan.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.