cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan delinquency after four years?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Student loan delinquency after four years?

I had some AES loans that went 120 days delinquent (did not default) back in 2009. These are the main negs on my credit report. I am now in repayment and up to date. My understanding is over time these negs have less and less impact on credit score. My question is that I heard at the four year mark the negs become significantly less important. I will be crossing the four year mark in the next few months. Will I see a decent credit score jump as a result?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Student loan delinquency after four years?

Really hard to say...certainly it's not going to get worse, but a 714 score is actually pretty good. The higher your score, the harder it is to get big jumps in scores. But keep gardening your two new cards and be patient. You're doing great.

Message 2 of 4
red259
Super Contributor

Thank you for the kind words.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 4
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Any major derogatory remark continues to negatively affect the with nearly the same intensity during the full 7.5 years it remains on your CR.  It is only the minor offences of 30 and 60 days late which reduce in impact over time, significantly less impact after two years.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.