cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan duplicate reporting to Transunion - need help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loan duplicate reporting to Transunion - need help!

Moral of the story. Rehabilitation and paying off loan will not fix credit score. Once a loan goes bad it stays bad forever. Rehabilitation and paying off loan will not fix credit score.

Original student loan taken out in 1991. I Went in default 1998. Student Loan Rehabilitation fix my credit score in 2009. Paid loan off in 2010.
My score was good for two years. Two years after loans were paid off 2012 they were re-aged and list as "derogatory" and "collection/chargeoff"

I deputed Experian, told them it was a duplicate of the loan reporting paid satisfactory but lost.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loan duplicate reporting to Transunion - need help!

The only lesson I've learned from all this mess, and the only advice I can give, is to keep trying. I just lucked out in that I was able to speak with someone that saw how ridiculous my situation was and chose to remedy it. NEVER let someone tell you that their supervisor can not do any more than they can. Make the supervisor tell you that if that is the case.

Now, I will also say that regarding the Equifax and Experian that have been corrected (and the TU as well if you can get it corrected), continue to monitor all three, at least for a while. After the folks at TU removed my dupe from ACS, it was only a matter of weeks before the dupe was reported to Equifax. So, what basically happened was, TU pushed the account back to ACS, and since they had to report it somehow, they sent it over to Equifax. I am currently trying to work this out with Equifax, but I'm a little busy plus they are harder to deal with since they farm their stuff out to CSC.

My account at one time had been in forbearance also, I wonder if that has something to do with my duplication? I was finally able to speak with a supervisor at ACS who explained it from their end and made some sense. Basically, they are servicing my account for 'Sallie Mae', or 'ABC Comp.", or whoever. And as you know, student loan accounts get sold and moved around constantly. So what happens is Company A sells my account to Company B. Company B has ACS service my account but somehow Company A is still reporting to ACS that they own my account. So ACS can't just delete one or the other, they need some type of verification for liability purposes. And therein lies the problem, at least for me.....because of security and privacy issues, none of the bureaus can provide me with the full account number (including the packet number) to send BACK to ACS to prove it's a dupe.

As far as working with a lawyer, I'm still considering it, let me know if you figure anything out. I'm not sure right now if it's worth it. Like you, I'm trying to clear this up for mortgage purposes, though I haven't applied for credit so I don't know how much this dupe is affecting me, if at all. Obviously the amount is different (mine's 10,000) and it's only being duped to one agency.

Another route I'm considering is in terms of what the supervisor at ACS told me. I'm thinking I should be  able to 'track' the loan from it's origin through the various companies that have owned and serviced it. If there are two companies claiming to own my account and both report to ACS, shouldn't I be able to contact them, effectively bypassing ACS? If that's possible that might be the best route in your case also.

I'd be interested in knowing a little more about what ACS provided that fixed your Equifax and Experian. It seems in my case that the information flows the other way - from the bureaus to ACS.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.