cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan help... Re-fi? consolidate?

tag
Jerry_B

Student loan help... Re-fi? consolidate?

I just graduated with my undergrad in December and I want to begin paying off my loans as soon as possible.  I have some loans when I originally statred in 2008 and more these past few years when I came back to school.  My four older loans have an interest rate of 6.8% at at roughly 17k (AES) while my nine newer loans are around 3.8% with 14k in debt (Naveint).  Are there any sites where I could possibly re-fi the older loans? Would it be considered consolidation? WIll this affect my credit in any way? I also have about $5,000 in disposable income that I plan on putting down on my older loans. I'm open to any and all input, thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Jerry_B

Re: Student loan help... Re-fi? consolidate?

Transunion: 678 & Equifax: 746

Message 2 of 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Student loan help... Re-fi? consolidate?

If you do a federal consolidation, your effective interest rate will not change because the new loan will use the weighted average of your original loans.  The only way to possibly lower your interest rate would be with a private consolidation, BUT, doing that causes you to lose important benefits like access to income-driven payment plans, deferments and forbearances.  I would reccomend against refinancing federal debt to private, and instead try to target extra payments to your higher interest loans in order to reduce the amount you pay.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.