Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan payoff

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Student loan payoff

Will paying off my student loan early I owe $1198, opened in 9/2001 with a high credit of $2625 will this be beneficial enough to my score, or should I pay off something else?
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loan payoff

What does the "something else" consist of?  If they are credit cards, you'll probably see better effects on your score by paying those off rather than the loan.  If it's another installment loan it probably doesn't matter either way.  If it is some uglies like collections or something, handle with care.
Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does the "something else" consist of?  If they are credit cards, you'll probably see better effects on your score by paying those off rather than the loan.  If it's another installment loan it probably doesn't matter either way.  If it is some uglies like collections or something, handle with care.
Message 2 of 4
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I was speaking of credit card accounts, I have an HSBC balance of $12695 with a limit of 16k I was debating putting the 1200 there. My scores aren't the greatest but this student loan is the oldest TL I have also.
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Well one thing that won't happen when you pay off the student loan is that any future on time payment history that you would've had won't happen anymore.  Not sure if recent positive payment history is something you lack, if it is, then more on time payments reporting on an installment loan would help... plus you paying off credit card debt instead would help your scores too.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.