Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan payoff

tag
Norway64
Established Member

Student loan payoff

My credit report shows two derrogatories for students i cosigned with my son in 2000. After defaults occurred by my son in August 2009, I have been taken over all payments at $435 monthly, and am considering escalating payments so the total balance is repaid by January, 2013. The current balance is approximately $15,300. The derrogatories are to be removed in 2016, seven years after the late payments first occurred. The interest rate charged on the accounts is only 3.5% annually. My question is, from a credit scoring standponit, is it advantageous to pay off the loans three years before the derrogatories are removed. And after they are removed with the accounts remain on my credit report as accounts in good standing. Thanks in advance for any imput you may provide.

Starting Score: 734
Current Score: 850 Equ, 846 Exp
Goal Score: 850

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Student loan payoff

If feasible for you, I would go ahead and pay off this loan as quickly as you are able to.  It will not make a difference with regard to the baddies whether you pay the loan off now, or whether you pay it off in the future.  They will remain on your report for 7 years from the date that they happened.  The good news though is that after the baddies fall off, then the "good" payments will remain on your report for 10 years.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 3
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Re: Student loan payoff

Also, with interest rates that low, there is a good possibility they have variable interest rates.  (unless you consolidated into a fixed rate.  If they are variable, they adjust in July of every year.  They should go up a few basis points in about 2 weeks.  Predicting what will happen next year and beyond is a bit more difficult.  I doubt the interest will change much in the short term, but the sooner you pay it off the better. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.