Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan rehab complete

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan rehab complete

I made some really poor decisions when I was younger and screwed up my credit. I finally decided to clean it all up last year 2017. I started at 487 in May and am now at a 611 in Feb 2018 (EX). I started the SL rehab 5/2017 and my last payment was drafted 2/10/18. The student loans are the last and only thing holding my score down. All collections have been paid and deleted, I have good revolving accounts and 1 installment account. All cards PIF very month with about 10-15 dollars left on them at the end of my statement cut off. My question is when should I start disputing with bureaus? I want to purchase a home and I would really like to do so before the summer.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
martinsoka17
Contributor

Re: Student loan rehab complete

I personally waited for the new tradelines to appear on my report (bought by Sallie Mae right after I completed my rehab). Then I started disputing. And I disputed as often as I could. I know there is wording floating around the forums on what to say when you do dispute - I just said something along the lines of "student loan successfully rehabbed - collector agreed to removed negative remarks from credit report". Experian and Equifax happened pretty quickly - it only took me three or four disputes. Transunion took almost four years. However this is definitely a YMMV thing because I've seen anything ranging from they removed themselves before dispute, to people have not gotten them removed. 

Have your loans been picked up by a servicer??

Starting Score: 523

Current Scores: EQ: 705 TU: 757 EX: 764

Goal Scores: 800 across the board

in the garden until 2019!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Not yet. I spoke to the DOE and they told me they will be picked up on the 19th.
Message 3 of 4
martinsoka17
Contributor

Technically you could dispute now. I don’t see a problem with doing it before your new tradelines report. That being said, you could also wait it out to see if the new tradelines shownup free and clear of any late remarks. You could be one of the lucky ones. On my credit report, my old tradelines were a mess while in limbo between getting picked up by my new servicer. Once they did get picked up, they became nice and tidy and easy for me to dispute what needed to be disputed.
Starting Score: 523

Current Scores: EQ: 705 TU: 757 EX: 764

Goal Scores: 800 across the board

in the garden until 2019!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.