bigbus

Student loan reporting as revolving!

Hi there!  I've been lurking these forums for quite some time now and finally have found a question that I have not seen answered!  I recently filed bankruptcy and am awaiting my discharge.  I recently pulled some credit reports in order to see my status and see what I need to clean up.  I just noticed that I have a revolving account of about 22000 that was a student loan given by my local CU. 

The credit reports that I have pulled have this loan listed as a negative against me because my utilization is at 118% with this loan counted as revolving.  It is my only revolving account because the bankruptcy has set all the others at a $0 balance.  After I graduated, the deferred interest was added to the loan principle which caused it to go above 100%.  Does anybody here have any experience with this?  I think I am going to either dispute this or try to email the student loan lender and having them change it.  Any input would be great.  Thanks!

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Student loan reporting as revolving!

bigbus wrote:

Hi there!  I've been lurking these forums for quite some time now and finally have found a question that I have not seen answered!  I recently filed bankruptcy and am awaiting my discharge.  I recently pulled some credit reports in order to see my status and see what I need to clean up.  I just noticed that I have a revolving account of about 22000 that was a student loan given by my local CU. 

The credit reports that I have pulled have this loan listed as a negative against me because my utilization is at 118% with this loan counted as revolving.  It is my only revolving account because the bankruptcy has set all the others at a $0 balance.  After I graduated, the deferred interest was added to the loan principle which caused it to go above 100%.  Does anybody here have any experience with this?  I think I am going to either dispute this or try to email the student loan lender and having them change it.  Any input would be great.  Thanks!

Welcome! Before doing anything I recommend you pull your FICO reports for TU and EQ to at least confirm that FICO sees it as a revolving. I've used 3rd-party reports from many sources and I've had loans report the same, even though FICO didn't see it that way.

Once confirmed that it is viewed as a revolving, then I wouldn't dispute. I'd talk to the CU. Maybe there's some internal coding they can do to fix it.

bigbus

The report that I get from myFico is an EQ FICO report right?  This has been the only report I have pulled so far.  I am waiting for the bankruptcy to discharge and I will go through the other 2 reports.  As for the EQ report I got here, it reports as revolving with the util of 118% as it is the only balance reported.

Established Contributor
InvincibleSummer3

Weird. The only other time I've seen this is when someone I know got an LOC from their credit union that could be used as a SL. She happened to remember it that way, and was surprised when it reported as a revolver.

I'd speak with the credit union, myself.

bigbus

Yeah, I think I am going to try to get the CU to report it as an installment.  I guess It was originally a LOC but it could only be used for school as the CU sent direct payment to the university and the university dictated how much I could get.  Hopefully the CU would change it or I will try my luck with disputing and see what happens.

New Visitor
bleahey

I am a financial aid administrator and can tell you that credit union student loans are in fact "lines of credit" and hence "revolving". Supposedly to avoid some of the disclosure requirements. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+