cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?

Regular Contributor

Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?

Hello Everyone
 
I have accounts with United Student Aid Funds as well as with the CT Student Loan foundation.  They are all reported as being closed.  Will taking them off my credit score decline or improve my score?  Also...I also have one from Cals that says " charged off as bad debt" however.. Im 0 days late ?
This account is also closed?
 
Any information would be greatly apprecaited
 
Thanks
 
Strong
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?

The Higher Education Act requires that these accounts report for 7 years from the default or claim paid date. If you dispute the, they will simply come back as verified as they are valid tradelines.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 8
Senior Contributor

Re: Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?

TBH, I don't think anyone can give you a straight "yes" or "no" with the info you've given.

For one thing, how OLD are these accounts? Are they "closed, with lates" showing, or just closed? Are they charge-offs?

Also, if they're just loans that were paid off by a consolidation loan, they're supposed to stay on there, they should just be marked "paid and closed."

Hubby had a total of about 8 loans in his 6-7 years of schooling (each one about $4K) and except for the ones that we paid off prior to consolidating, each one is still on his reports marked as "Paid, closed" ... and then the consolidation loan that paid them off is there.

In our case, we never suffered lates with those (or at least, they don't show lates!) and they add to DH's credit history length. In that area, they're good!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hubby's FICOs when we started: high 400s (June 2008)
Hubby's FICO NOW (04/06/09): TU: 679 EQ: 608 EX: ???
My FICOs: TU: 643, EQ: 606
Closed on new home: 1/20/2009 -- If we can do it, YOU can do it!!

Message 3 of 8
Regular Contributor

Re: Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?



Wonderin wrote:
TBH, I don't think anyone can give you a straight "yes" or "no" with the info you've given.

For one thing, how OLD are these accounts? Are they "closed, with lates" showing, or just closed? Are they charge-offs?

Also, if they're just loans that were paid off by a consolidation loan, they're supposed to stay on there, they should just be marked "paid and closed."

Hubby had a total of about 8 loans in his 6-7 years of schooling (each one about $4K) and except for the ones that we paid off prior to consolidating, each one is still on his reports marked as "Paid, closed" ... and then the consolidation loan that paid them off is there.

In our case, we never suffered lates with those (or at least, they don't show lates!) and they add to DH's credit history length. In that area, they're good!!

They are about 5 years old.  They have been conslidated but are still being read as charged off as bad debt then paid in full? 
Message 4 of 8
Regular Contributor

Re: Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?



LynnInMN wrote:
The Higher Education Act requires that these accounts report for 7 years from the default or claim paid date. If you dispute the, they will simply come back as verified as they are valid tradelines.


That sucks!!! thanks for the information though (laugh)
Message 5 of 8
Senior Contributor

Re: Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?

Then everything seems to be as it's supposed to.

I agree that it sucks (oooh, trust me, I do!), but its actually the right thing, as much as it sucks (sucks enough to mention twice!).

Now, what I'm not sure of is whether they'll fall off in 7 years from "default" date or report for 10 (since being closed and paid in full, they might "read" as a positive account -- those stay on for 10). Anyone know????

Our SLs were consolidated back in approximately '00 and yet the original loans are still on our CRs (with the last original loan taken out in circa '94). Which, since they were paid with never late, I guess is a GOOD thing!! Smiley Happy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hubby's FICOs when we started: high 400s (June 2008)
Hubby's FICO NOW (04/06/09): TU: 679 EQ: 608 EX: ???
My FICOs: TU: 643, EQ: 606
Closed on new home: 1/20/2009 -- If we can do it, YOU can do it!!

Message 6 of 8
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?

They should drop 7 years after DOFD.
Look on your EXP and TU reports directly from the CRA's to see the drop date.
 
https://annualcreditreport.transunion.com/user/returnUser.jsp

https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/InvalidateSession.do?code=DISPUTE

Wonderin wrote:
Then everything seems to be as it's supposed to.

I agree that it sucks (oooh, trust me, I do!), but its actually the right thing, as much as it sucks (sucks enough to mention twice!).

Now, what I'm not sure of is whether they'll fall off in 7 years from "default" date or report for 10 (since being closed and paid in full, they might "read" as a positive account -- those stay on for 10). Anyone know????

Our SLs were consolidated back in approximately '00 and yet the original loans are still on our CRs (with the last original loan taken out in circa '94). Which, since they were paid with never late, I guess is a GOOD thing!! Smiley Happy


Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Student loans accounts are reported as closed.. do I dispute to have them taken off?

As I understand it, ours will continue to report for another 2 years, right? Ours were closed by consolidation loan and NEVER late.

Yeesh, I hope they continue to report for another 2 years. They're what gives my hubby a long credit history length ... and they're in perfect standing!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hubby's FICOs when we started: high 400s (June 2008)
Hubby's FICO NOW (04/06/09): TU: 679 EQ: 608 EX: ???
My FICOs: TU: 643, EQ: 606
Closed on new home: 1/20/2009 -- If we can do it, YOU can do it!!

Message 8 of 8