Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans aren't affecting score?

tag
arjames01
Contributor

Student loans aren't affecting score?

I have $67k in federal student loans that went into repayment 5/2012. Right before I went into repayment I consolidated them with Direct Loans and put them onto IBR. The only other debts I have is a car loan.

I was curious to know how are these student loans affecting my credit score? Does the whole balance affect DTI? Or do they just take into account my payment? My scores themselves haven't dropped since entering repayment and I didn't have any issues getting my car loan in July of this year with a nice3% interest rate. 

I have no intentions of ever buying a home. The only things I would ever need credit for is a car and of course credit cards I use for the rewards. As the interest adds to my loans will it affect my ability to obtain a car loan in the future etc?

Sorry if this is too many questions. Smiley Embarassed 

11/2013- EX 690, EQ 763, TU 694
01/2015- EX 781, EQ 775, TU 777

Chase Freedom $7500, AMEX BCE $6000
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
12njoy
Super Contributor

Re: Student loans aren't affecting score?

@arjames01,

Good question.  I would like to know the answer to that also.  I consolidated 125k with Direct Loans in 2010 and entered the IBR.  I have had no payment due since consolidating; however, I will start paying in 2015 based on my family size and income.  I too wonder if once I start making payments, if the loans will affect my credit card limits.  I've estimated that how the plan is set up, I will have to start with approximately $215 a month with slight increases every year.  I'm also going to do the public forgiveness application after 10 years, so I have 6.5 years to go for that.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 2 of 13
Luscher
Valued Contributor

In general student loans aren't looked at negatively by lenders. I would say the only thing that would be a problem was if you were going for a mortgage, which you are not.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 13
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

If going for a mortgage, why would it be a problem?

2/26/15: TU Fico (BarclayCard)- 721
2/18/15: EQ (CK)- 668
2/26/15: EX (EX.com)- 706

Message 4 of 13
Luscher
Valued Contributor

They might not like it if you have a lot of SL's because it is a lot of debt. when i say a lot i keen over 100k
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 13
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

I have almost 200K and now I am worried...

Message 6 of 13
SCF
Valued Contributor

@ladyMJ wrote:

I have almost 200K and now I am worried...

If you have $200k in student loans and plenty of income to cover the monthly payment, the amount of the loans won't give you any trouble when you apply for a mortgage.  On the other hand, if your debt-to-income ratio is very high because of the SLs, you'll be limited in how much you can borrow for a home, or possibly not even be able to qualify.

Message 7 of 13
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

When you say plenty of income, what kind of figures do you mean?

I hope to knock 30K out the way next year with the help of my spouse.

Currently all my loans (except for 1 private-30K) are consolidated w a 50/mo payment for 132 months (Income plan). Does this low monthly payment help? Or does it not matter?

I can't believe I went on word of mouth that "student loans dont hurt your credit/etc.."

If I would have known they can be responsible for holdong me back from purchasing a home I would have never went to (EXPENSIVE) grad school. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 13
Halliep
Valued Member

I have a high amount of student loans due to law school (80k) and when I bought my house 5 years ago, I was told by my mortgage lender that the amount of my monthly payments are factored into my DTI when applying for the loan. So while they won't necessarily hurt your score, the loans can affect your ability to get credit if your income isn't proportionate to your student loan debt.

That said, sounds like the OP doesn't intend on getting a mortgage, so this may not matter.

Hope this helps.
Message 9 of 13
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@ladyMJ wrote:

When you say plenty of income, what kind of figures do you mean?

I hope to knock 30K out the way next year with the help of my spouse.

Currently all my loans (except for 1 private-30K) are consolidated w a 50/mo payment for 132 months (Income plan). Does this low monthly payment help? Or does it not matter?

I can't believe I went on word of mouth that "student loans dont hurt your credit/etc.."

If I would have known they can be responsible for holdong me back from purchasing a home I would have never went to (EXPENSIVE) grad school. Smiley Sad

Student loans don't hurt your credit.  Borrowing $200,000 without having a good six-figure income places your debt-to-income ratio very high. Your ability to pay is what would hurt your chances at a mortgage. They look at monthly expenses vs income. I don't know first hand how being on an IBR plan would figure in with the lender, but I would tend to think they would be very sensitive to your situation and inclined to deny.  You are basically telling one lender you don't have enough income to pay them back on a normal schedule and turning to another lender and asking them to borrow another sizable sum of money.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.