cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans re-grouped loans...will that affect credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans re-grouped loans...will that affect credit score?

So we are buying a house and we are watching our scores really closely because mine is sub prime and really can use whatever points I can get. My student loans were reporting on 4 separate line items. Nelnet reports student loans in GROUPS of like interest rates. In March, they fell out of forebearance and I neglected to call in time to get them put back in forebearance so they reported late on 4 lines. Since that's rather recent, it's taking a big hit on my score. Of all the credit things I've learned over the last 6 months repairing my credit, THAT one was the biggest lesson and it hurt lol.

Anyway, now I notice that Nelnet has grouped 2 of the lines into one, so it's showing only 3 lines instead of 4. Will that report like that on my credit report? The loan amount stays the same, but now deleting that one tradeline might have a positive impact since it was a negative tradeline?  Anyone else have any experience with credit scores increasing when student loans reported less tradelines but same amounts?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Student loans re-grouped loans...will that affect credit score?

I'm not sure this will impact how Nelnet reports to the CRAs.  The loan groups are something they do internally to help them (and you) manage your repayment, it doesn't change the number of loan accounts that you actually have.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.