Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans ruin everything for me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans ruin everything for me!

I feel so hopeless right now. It taken me over 3.5 years to rebuild my credit from 400 something scores up to low 600s. My scores are 638 TU, 622 Ex and 626 Eq. I was finally able to get a care credit card and a second Capital One Card but any card I get is a rediculous low limit. I had one cap 1 card that started at $300 then $750 then $1000. My care credit that I just got in March has a sl of only $1500 ( I needed $2100). Anyway, I am pretty sure the fact that I have $32k in student loan debt is the reason I can't get anymore credit than I get. While I am sitting here upset a little over the low care credit limit not being enough for the procedure I need, I can't help but to get even more depressed thinking am I ever going to be able to buy a home? I only earn $31k a year right now and having $32k in student loans makes me feel I will never have anything Smiley Sad  I was so happy when I found out that my income based repayment plan meant $0 payments but now I can't help but think it's a bad idea being on this plan because whenever I look at my credit now it says I have paid -2 % on my loan. Doesn't that look worse than even high utilization? Anytime I am denied anything one thing is always listed on the stupid denial letter which is my loan balances are too high. Then when I do TRY and qualify for a home loan they are going to count around $320 towards my dti ratio over this. The saddest thing ever and I am ashamed to say it is that I have all this sl debt and I didn't even finish school and get my degree Smiley Sad I have thought about going back but the thought of possibly having to take out another loan terrifies me and I just don't know if it's worth it or not or if I can even get through another 2 years or so of school without taking out a loan. Sorry if I am all over the place with this post. My emotions are all over the place to be honest. I just feel helpless and defeated and ashamed that when I asked for a $600 more cl while at the doctor I was declined and I feel humilated and depressed ugh. If this post even makes sense to anyone I could use some advice! 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student loans ruin everything for me!

I can definitely understand how you feel but my student loans are double and I was able to get approved for high limits before my bankruptcy.  I believe Care Credit was one of my first cards and I had a $5000.00 limit.  My limits were between $2500-$7000.  My credit score went from high 500s to 701 in a matter of months and I got a little carried away hence the bankruptcy.  But I can say from my experience a higher credit score equals a higher credit limit.  If you can get your score up to around 680 you should be able to get a higher limit without a problem. 

Even after my bankruptcy for example:  I applied for Victoria Secret & NY and Company store cards in December and my credit scores were high 500s to low 600s and I was only able to get approved for a $250.00 limit with Comenity Bank.  Fast forward to now I was just approved for a Williams-Sonoma store card with a $1000.00 limit with a 653 credit score and it's with the same bank.

Unfortunately, the DTI is a problem too but I know conventional loans uses the payment amount that is reported on your credit report.  So if you are a income based repayment plan and your payment is low then you might be able to qualify.   Google mortgages and school loans to get more information on this.

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 2 of 19
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

My student loans (~$55k) are also on a $0/month IBR plan. What I plan to do sometime this month is setting up a nominal payment of $10-20/month. My loan servicer (don't know if this is universal) offers a .25% interest rate discount if you pay via auto-pay and you have to make some kind of payment (I think it's a $5/mo minimum) in order to get the discount. So this will mean the loan balance in relation to the original balance will grow at a slower rate. My scores are terrible for other reasons but I'm hoping this will help things.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 3 of 19
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

I know the feeling OP, my student loans are about the same as my income and they are killer plus they kill your DTI ratios. I dropped out of college, well actually I failed out of college like ten years ago and had to work my from the brink. 

You will be able to get more credit as you work to improve your scores and use the cards you do have. Those scores are scores that you can work with to build up. Keep your balances low and keep using those credit cards. Try to get at least 3 bank cards and those limits will also go up with responsible use. 

I'm back in school again and all of my student loan balances are at 115% ish. You can still get approved for many things with high student loan balances. People used to say they're good debt, thats a load of crap, but they are workable even when over the max. 

You could see what a mortgage broker has to say and where you should focus. I used a ton of calculators and DTI mortgage calculators, even the ones that said they calculated what you could afford. They were all way off, depending on my loan type (VA, FHA, Conventional) I could afford 3-5 times that. 

You might be surprised with what you could afford. Keep those hopes up and keep working to improve yourself and you will eventually get there. 

Worst case, if you're bored or need a little time away, we are always recruiting lol. We have tons of different jobs, pay for school, pay back federal loans and build a great resume, plus a ton of other benefits and we even offer part time like the National Guard. I'm an instructor now but I'm also a medic and it really helped with a ton of different aspects of life. Honestly, I would just do it for Navy Federal Credit Union and USAA, but mostly NFCU. 

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 4 of 19
Kree
Established Contributor

Student loan utilization should not effect your total installment loan utilization.

I have 100k in student loan debt. (double my income)  Been paying 0 a month, will pay 22 a month this summer. My loans will likely never be under 100% utilization. Just got approved for a 14500 credit card. My total credit is over 40k now.  I expect to have 800 scores by this time next year as I pay some revolving debt down.

As for mortgages, some brokers will use your IBRP numbers instead of the 1% others use.  Find the write broker. 

good luck, it gets better.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are absolutely not alone. I too did not finish University and now my total balance is much higher than when I left school. I'm have a $0 payment on a much higher loan. As long as you are in a loan forgiveness program, I would stay on this low payment plan. There is no sense in even paying the interest imo because being vigilant about your credit will increase your score more in my experience.
Sometimes it's frustrating knowing my score would be higher without the loans, but trust me after I passed 730 a few years ago I realized how much smaller an impact that total loan has on a score when compared to low utilization (mine is always under 5% but as a rule I would never go over 10%) and paying on time. The main reason my score went up is I can developed healthy credit habits. It will be slow going but you will find your score going up steadily.
When I first left school, I had to start from scratch with a credit card with a low balance of $500. I keep this for years. So far this stingy ::cough:: Cap1 ::cough:: company has only given me a few increases. Don't be discouraged! I let it sit for a few years and when I applied for a new card suddenly I got one over $12k. The next two the same.
You will recover. :-)
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

beutiful5678 : You said you are on an IBR plan. Do you qualify for the loan forgiveness program? It's very easy. If so, or if you're already on it, I would say ignore they interest rate discount. Yes this means your interest rate will make your "balance" go up but from what I've experienced that interest will only get added to principal when you switch plans. For example if you signed up for the new REPAY plan the interest capitalizes. The amount that is reported to the credit bureaus had not changed for me unless I were to recertify late or switch plans causing the principal to change (or the loan service messed up and I make them fix it). However, even if it does, your score goes down a few points that are quickly recovered by just paying on time and keeping your utilization low.
You would be better off taking that small amount offer month and putting it into a savings account it mutual funds it something for a rainy day imo. There interest earned would offset the discount too.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My loan balances are higher than my salary and I am at -50% due to a multi-year unemployment/underemployment period this last decade.

I am still getting credit.  It just takes time.  I had 3 years of CapitalOne only before I started getting approved for better.  Around 670 FICO when I started getting those cards.

Message 8 of 19
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote: 
beutiful5678 : You said you are on an IBR plan. Do you qualify for the loan forgiveness program?

I am not in a job where I qualify for PSLF and my career plans do not include a PSLF-eligible job. Thanks though!

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 9 of 19
Kree
Established Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote: 
beutiful5678 : You said you are on an IBR plan. Do you qualify for the loan forgiveness program?

I am not in a job where I qualify for PSLF and my career plans do not include a PSLF-eligible job. Thanks though!

The PAYE repayment plan included loan forgiveness after 20 years. Not as good as the PSLF 10 year forgiveness because twice as long, and it count as taxable income, but it is still beneficial.

I believe other IBR plans also have 20 or 25 year forgiveness options.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.