cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans ruin everything for me!

tag
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student loans ruin everything for me!

@Kree wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote: 
beutiful5678 : You said you are on an IBR plan. Do you qualify for the loan forgiveness program?

I am not in a job where I qualify for PSLF and my career plans do not include a PSLF-eligible job. Thanks though!

The PAYE repayment plan included loan forgiveness after 20 years. Not as good as the PSLF 10 year forgiveness because twice as long, and it count as taxable income, but it is still beneficial.

I believe other IBR plans also have 20 or 25 year forgiveness options.

Right, and by paying a nominal $5/mo I can reduce that taxable income even if my IBR payments are $0.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 11 of 19
Kree
Established Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Kree wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote: 
beutiful5678 : You said you are on an IBR plan. Do you qualify for the loan forgiveness program?

I am not in a job where I qualify for PSLF and my career plans do not include a PSLF-eligible job. Thanks though!

The PAYE repayment plan included loan forgiveness after 20 years. Not as good as the PSLF 10 year forgiveness because twice as long, and it count as taxable income, but it is still beneficial.

I believe other IBR plans also have 20 or 25 year forgiveness options.

Right, and by paying a nominal $5/mo I can reduce that taxable income even if my IBR payments are $0.

I also believe extra payments are taken off the front end. So you can push your next payment duedate back. Not sure if it works across your yearly verification.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats good info to know!  Thanks for sharing

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

FreeToBeMe it doesn't sound like your situation is hopeless. Based on your numbers I think you need to grow your new accounts for a while.  You might also consider a secured credit card or secured personal loan just to put some more positive lines on your report.  Just let the accounts grow a bit.  Also, your loan amount is not so far out of reach that you can't get it under control in the next few years.  You might be able to get a second part time job and pay it down a lot faster than just letting the interest capitalize exponentionally under the low income plans.  Then you'll be in an even better position to purchase a home.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The low-income plans usually have loan forgiveness. You might want to check to see how far along in forgiveness you are by asking them how many qualifying payments you've made. You might need to speak to the supervisor but you can have them send you the letter.  The REPAY plan is only 20 years until forgiveness for undergrad loans. At the time of forgiveness, let's say they forgive $30,000. This $30,000 will now count as taxable income for that year. $5 payments now for a slight interest discount won't even put a dent in it. So when your time is up in repayment you should have a plan in place to pay off the taxes on the additional income. The other option is if you're considered insolvent. I don't know enough to explain it accurately but you wouldn't owe the remainder of the loan or the taxes for the forgiven amount so might be something to look into.  

If you're in the income-driven loan forgiveness program, your interest will accrue but not capitalize. Your balance on your credit report will stay the same unless your forget to recertify on time with your income each year or when you switch plans. These benefits will go away if you go with a private insititution to get a lower interest rate , btw. 

"Doesn't that look worse than even high utilization? Anytime I am denied anything one thing is always listed on the stupid denial letter which is my loan balances are too high."

No. I maintain a very low utilization and despite having a student loan balance higher than my income, I have a very good credit score and have been approved for high limit credit cards. The utilization and payment history counted more, though I think the student loans will be the reason I can't get 800+ yet.

I find that CapOne is just stingy after the initial increases. Discover (0% introductory APR) and NavyFed were very generous in starting credit limit though! Not just for myself but with several people I know with credit scores in the 600's and student loans (seriously, who doesn't have student loans nowadays, lol!). Which in turn helped inprove their credit score, and helped with buying a house. I've also found the "offers you qualify for" features on some website helpful when choosing a card to apply for. Hopefully that will give you the bump you need to cover your procedure. 

" I have thought about going back but the thought of possibly having to take out another loan terrifies me and I just don't know if it's worth it or not or if I can even get through another 2 years or so of school without taking out a loan."

If you think that a degree will open doors for you, go for it! You'll might run out of gov loans though. There are other options (besides private loans). For example, Washington State Unversity has quite a few online degrees and a scholorship that covers the tuition (even if you're out-of- state), plus whatever grants you have left with your FAFSA. They are targeted to people who want to finish their last two years. 

You still have a lot of good options. Over time your credit score will improve and give you some breathing room, so just be patient. =)

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So on an income driven repayment plan the interest showing accrued shouldn't be added to the total balance when it comes to what shows on the credit reports?

We went through a chapter 7 BK late last year/early this year and the student loan servicer didn't get us back into repaying until 6 months after the discharge giving us some kind of deferment due to the BK.  What showed up on my credit reports was the balance plus what interest had accrued and not the original balance.  Should I dispute this with the credit bureaus?  I never missed recertification of the IBR before the BK.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't get capitalized on IBR, PAYE & REPAYE. But the last I spoke with them they said (/made up??) some line about having to report the total owed to the CB.
At any point you leave an IDR plan, your interest will capitalize. That will definitely get reported. Once you're back on an IDR plan your interest will accrue again but not capitalize. Did you have to leave the IDR during your BK?
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

We were both in an IDR plan before we filed, and during the BK they had us in a BK deferment until 6 months after our discharge where I was back on my IDR plan and my wife had to recertify which she did.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

TexasFamMan: As soon as u went off of the IDR plan for the BK, you were subject to the interest being capitalized. That's why your principal went up, which would be reported to the CB.
The good news is student loan balances don't really impact your score that much (which is why people can have $0 IDR payments, over 100% utilization and still have good scores). In addition, as long as you recertify on time and don't switch plans like from IBR to REPAYE, it will never capitalize again.
Are your loan balances continuing to change every month?
I'm very familiar with FedLoan Servicing so here are a few suggestions:
1. Annually get a count of the number of qualifying payments you've made so far toward forgiveness. Often you will be told they don't do this; they do. I get them.
2. Keep in mind that if you consolidate, your count resets.
3. Skip the first person you talk with on the phone. 9/10 times they're useless imo.
4. Recertify maybe 2 months early. Put it on your calendar; they are notorious for forgetting to send out the 1 month reminder.
5. If your income reduces in any pay period for any reason, you can recertify early using the application upload with your paystubs. This will lower your payments for a whole new year vs using the number on your taxes.
Hope this helps!
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.