Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Contributor

TPD Loan forgiveness with VA disability rating.

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I began my journey to have my student loans forgiven. My medical condition has gotten worse and I have received a 100% Total and Permanent Disability rating from the Department of Veteran Affairs.

The good:

I won't enter into the 3 year waiting period.
Hopefully, it gets approved faster since the documentation sent clearly explains my conditions and my disability rating. I hope this helps expedite things.
I did not have to fill out the medical part 4 on the request form.

Now I want to document as accurately as possible the entire process so others may have an idea of time frames and steps.

03/27/2017

Sent completed form and supporting documentation via overnight mail and waived signature.

03/28/2017

The package was delivered at 10:23 am. At 6:37 Pm no update on the site.

03/29/2017
File was scanned and uploaded to the system. Was informed of this because I called to see if they had received it. At the time the kind lady informed me that since it was scanned it was waiting on a reviewer to uploaded it and assign a case number to it.

04/05/2017

Logged in and my case had been assigned a number and all the student loans were present. In the file. Including a recent one from a month ago. I'm still going to school. Not sure how that will affect the case but I was rated at 100% less than a month ago.

05/04/2017

Logged in today and finally saw a status change. I was getting a little anxious but this gives me a little more hope. The new status is Pending Final Approval.

I've read in some places from this point on it can take anywhere from 3-10 weeks to get the approval. After the approval, I will continue to document the steps to see what happens to the credit score and how they report it.

May 5th Update.

Now I called on the 1st of May and managed to get someone to explain how the process works. The young lady mentioned that They review my file and do a "soft approval" and send it to the Department of Education to get the final approval. Once they receive the final approval it gets send to Navient. Navient will then send me the correspondence explaining that they have been discharged and send the loan holders the information so they can update the records and credit reports.

05/13/2017

Called to see the status and was informed that my paperwork still hadn't been sent to the DE. When I asked if I needed to send something else they informed me that they send them in batches.

05/18/2017

My discharge was approved.  On the website it says permanent Discharge. If you call they can send you the letter via email.

5/24/2017 
I decided to check Fedloan website to see what the status of the loans was. The loans all appear Paid in Full. I have to admit that when I saw this i felt like a huge rock was lifted off my shoulders. I'm officially debt free and waiting to close on our new house. 

All that is left is for them to report it to the all 3 CBs. 

One step closer.

Amex Plat | Business Amex Plat | NFCU Cash Rewards $22,100 | Discover iT $1,000 | Capital One Plat $1750 | Capital One Quicksilver $2000 | Walmart SC $5000 | Amazon SC $4000 | Military Star Card $1750 NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU PL $7500 |
Established Contributor

Re: TPD Loan forgiveness with VA disability rating.

Thank you for the update, and yes please keep us posted on the progress.  I think this is a topic that probably needs some additional clarity on the forums.  I know there is another community member that has some questions about the TPD process, so this will certainly help.

Starting Score: Eq: 662 Tu: 532 (03/02/2011) CH7BK 01/12/2009 Discharge
Current Score: Eq: 712 (02/03/2017) Tu: 717 (04/03/2013)
Goal Score: Eq: 760 Tu: 760

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 10k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | LFCU Visa 11k
Highlighted
New Contributor

Main post updated!

Amex Plat | Business Amex Plat | NFCU Cash Rewards $22,100 | Discover iT $1,000 | Capital One Plat $1750 | Capital One Quicksilver $2000 | Walmart SC $5000 | Amazon SC $4000 | Military Star Card $1750 NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU PL $7500 |
New Contributor

Update on first post.

Established Contributor

This is fantastic.  Thank you for sharing your experience and providing some direction on how this process works.  It certainly is an unfamilar process to me.  I'm glad things are moving forward for you.

Starting Score: Eq: 662 Tu: 532 (03/02/2011) CH7BK 01/12/2009 Discharge
Current Score: Eq: 712 (02/03/2017) Tu: 717 (04/03/2013)
Goal Score: Eq: 760 Tu: 760

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 10k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | LFCU Visa 11k
New Contributor

Updated in the main post.

New Contributor

Main Post updated

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.