New Visitor
CatalystNX

Tax Refund Garnishment

I have a loan through the Dept. of Education that's in default and they have garnished my federal tax refund as a result. I need the money pretty bad as I'm currently unemployed and thus I plan to appeal the offset via an economic hardship appeal.

I've read several articles about the process but they all seem to say something different - or they're discussing wage garnishment rather than tax refund garnishment.

My question is: does anyone have any experience or advice with this process? I expected the offset as I knew the loan was in default, but I haven't been able to pay and at the moment literally have zero monthly income. I read about a statement of financial status form where I'd need to provide proof of my monthly income, but as I have no monthly income I'm a little confused as to how this works. Do I just put $0 and hope for the best?

Any help and/or advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+