cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Returns and Student Loan Rehabilitation

tag
smpabst81

Re: Tax Returns and Student Loan Rehabilitation

Thats where the conflicting info is. Is it upon completion or anytime during the process?
Message 11 of 36
redsox31324
New Contributor

I don't have a clear knowledgeable answer to that. I can only tell you what happen in my situation.
Message 12 of 36
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

@smpabst81 wrote:
Thats where the conflicting info is. Is it upon completion or anytime during the process?

It depends on the collection agency/loan holder.  

ECMC was one of my collection agencies, and the other was NELA.  ECMC sent info to the Dept of Treasury to cancel my tax offset the instant that I signed my rehab agreement with them.  NELA wouldn't do it until after I had made the first 4 on-time payments of the rehab process.  

In short, find out what your collection agency's policy is.  Remember, it can take 4 weeks or more from the time that your collection agency sends info to the Dept of Treasury for the cancellation of your offset to go through. 

Also, you need to call this number to find out exactly who might take your tax return:  (800) 304-3107.

Until that number says that nobody is offsetting your taxes, you will be offset.  

Also, if you know with 100% certainty that you do not owe the IRS money, you don't have to file your taxes.  The govt doesn't mind a bit because if they owe you money, and you don't file taxes, then it becomes an interest free loan for them.  They won't be knocking your door down to get you to file.  And you can collect back tax returns for up to 3 years after the deadline.  Again, that's only if you know with 100% certainty that you don't owe a single penny to the IRS.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 13 of 36
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Also, for the people talking about GC services, they are a collection agency.  They wouldn't be the ones to place the offset with the Dept of Treasury, so they aren't the ones to talk to about it.  

One of my loans was owned by Sallie Mae, serviced by NELA, and GC was the collection agency they used when I defaulted.  I had to communicate directly with Sallie Mae and NELA to find out their policy on removing the tax offset.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Message 14 of 36
smpabst81

Ive called the 800 number for the IRS and I'm set for an offset. Ive tried to press my collection agency on the issue and they say they don't do tax offsets. So.... I'm obviously going to wait to file my taxes. It sounds like there really isn't a standard for this and that its a case by case basis. Any ideas for pressing the collection agency for an answer?
Message 15 of 36
smpabst81

My understanding, the US dept of Ed places the tax offset with the FMS and the treasury. Correct?
Message 16 of 36
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

@smpabst81 wrote:
Ive called the 800 number for the IRS and I'm set for an offset. Ive tried to press my collection agency on the issue and they say they don't do tax offsets. So.... I'm obviously going to wait to file my taxes. It sounds like there really isn't a standard for this and that its a case by case basis. Any ideas for pressing the collection agency for an answer?

The collection agency probably has no control over the offset.  You need to talk to the loan holder and/or current servicer of the loan to find out their policy for lifting the tax offset.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Message 17 of 36
smpabst81

I'll try that one. The original lender is Sallie Mae
Message 18 of 36
SashaDixon
New Contributor

My loan rehab process seemed to be a bit different from others here, so I will give you my story and see if it helps.

My default was years in the making, 4+ I believe. Mine got so far behind they were garnishing my checks!! I entered into a rehab program around April of 2011 with United Student Aids funds, and my payments were $105 per month (mostly applied to interest, some months no money ever hit principal). At the time of entering into the agreement, my USA funds representative explained how the removal of liens worked. He stated that after my first payment to them they would no longer proceed with garnishment, then four months after that I would be pulled from the lien against my tax returns, after that it's 9-10 months and then they will attempt to have a new lender take over your loan (which for me was ACS/JPMORGANCHASE). Once a new lender takes over your loan, you pay directly to them and the guaruntor removes all default status (as if it never existed) from all CRs. 

I would google"student loan rehab requirements".

Starting Score: EQ: 645 TU: 663 EX: 630
Current Score: EQ: 690 TU: 658 EX: 675
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 36
smpabst81

It seems that its all on a case by case basis, but I've seen a lot of the 4 month payment and removal of the offset. I'm definitely going to do some more research!
My next question..... I understand these defaults hurt your credit score badly. I am rehabbing 2 batches of loans and heavily working on cleaning up my credit (outside of SL less than $2k in outstanding debt) as I am preparing to buy a house in the next 2-3 years. What kind of change can I expect on my score? Has anyone else had this experience? Once I finish rehab, I'm considering using a credit counseler. Does anyone have experience with this?
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.