Contributor
ladylpk74

The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program paid off my entire loan!

I can hardly believe it. When I applied back in June I expected to maybe get 1k paid off because of the current economy. However, I received a letter in the mail yesterday from Sallie Mae congratulating me on my loan forgiveness approval. In total they paid off $17,160. This news comes at a great time because I will be closing on my brand new home in a few weeks.  
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program paid off my entire loan!

that is awesome-

thank you for being a teacher
Established Member
intlschizo

*leaps up and cheers wildly* My mum is praying they pay hers off in full. She's an inner city junior high math teacher working on her Master's.
Regular Contributor
Ishmael109

Congrats! I had 20K out of 60K forgiven when I agreed to work in the Substance abuse field out of grad school (Clinical Social Work)  at an inner city agency. I could have had all of it forgiven if I stayed 2 years longer, but I moved into a higher paying position. It's a great program. I'm surprised how many folks don't know about it.

Again, Big congrats. It must be a great feeling!!:smileyhappy:
Jennilee

Wow,congrats!  That's amazing!  What kind of programs do they have that offer loan forgiveness? Do you have to teach in a public school?
Senior Contributor
MattH

According to the Federal Student Loan folks at
http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/teachercancel.jsp

SOME teachers can get their loans forgiven -- they must either teach at low-income schools or be qualified to teach subjects in which there is a shortage of teachers.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Contributor
ladylpk74

MattH wrote:

SOME teachers can get their loans forgiven -- they must either teach at low-income schools or be qualified to teach subjects in which there is a shortage of teachers.

That's exactly how I qualified. I teach at a school where over 90% of the student population is on free or reduce lunch and I am a special needs teacher.
Senior Contributor
MattH

ladylpk74 wrote:

MattH wrote:

That's exactly how I qualified. I teach at a school where over 90% of the student population is on free or reduce lunch and I am a special needs teacher.

Sounds like you earned every cent of the forgiven loan balance! I paid mine off out of my own pocket, but since I work in the corporate world I could afford to so I'm hardly complaining.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Frequent Contributor
Veee

God bless you!  I have a special needs child, well he's not really a child anymore (by age) :smileyhappy:

ladylpk74 wrote:

Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Regular Contributor
forevergroovy

Oh, wow!! I wonder if I can get any forgiven. I al getting perkins forgiven, but I have $46,000 in stafford that I would love to have any help with. I am going to try for the new plan and pay 10 years to get the rest forgiven, but I would like some done now if possible. I teach in a low income public school, too. How do I go about this?
1/18/08 EQ 570 TU 602 EX 562
9/14/09 EQ 622 TU 627 EX 623

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}