Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The debt dungeon or not...

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Re: The debt dungeon or not...

IOBA,

One more tidbit of information to add to the mix.  I think it would be good for your son to go to a school where he is able to work at least part-time (perhaps a local school where he wouldn't need a visa).  I say this because I strongly feel that the most recent recession has changed things.  That is, it is my opinion that employers, more so than ever before, would like to see a steady, continuous work history from a prospective employee rather than a fancy degree (or degrees) from an expensive college with no work experience to go along with it. 

With so many people getting undergraduate degrees these days, it takes more than ever to set yourself apart from other job applicants, and having a stable work history while attending college is the way to do that (especially if it relates to your future career).  So many of my friends/peers (I'm 24 and attending graduate school) who have graduated are having absolutely no luck finding jobs because they chose to focus on school and not work during that time.  Like you, I worked three jobs during my undergraduate education, and one of those jobs is actually turning into my career so I am now changing my educational aspirations to move further up in my position.  You never know what can come of working at a particular job (networking, experience, etc.), but all you can be certain of about going to college is that you'll eventually get a degree (and debt), but that doesn't mean you'll get a job out of it.  Just my two cents...

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 22
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: The debt dungeon or not...

tpatterson2k9 - I appreciated your two cents.

He has been volunteering for years with several organizations.   He has that information on his resume and in his portfolio.   One of the benefits of the school system he is in, is that they require all students to do an internship, a resume, and a job portfolio.  He also had to research the costs of schools and create a five year and a ten year plan.

Since he will be going to school in a foreign country, his work options will be limited, if not totally unavailable.   The employment rules are that the company must find an able bodied, willing native to do the job.  If none can be found, they can hire an able bodied, willing neighboring countryman to do the job.   If they still can't find someone, then they have to tell the gov't that they can't find ANYONE to do the job, but here's this college kid on a visa who is willing to do the work.   Then they can hire him.

HIs volunteer work that he has been doing for years can still be done while he is in school.   Gotta love the internet!

I agree with you - working a steady job while doing through school helps you land a job after school.   It's always been a "mom" (that's me) requirement that the kids do volunteer work since they were pre-school age.   For my youngest, that actually helped him be hired as a 14 yr old!  The company had to jump through hoops to get special permission to hire a 14 yr old when the minimum age (via state requirements) was 16 yrs old.   They helped him get a special permit to work too.   

My middle child decided in college to leave his "high school" job and not do "volunteer work" since he was "too busy".   He's a "soda jerker" now and hates it!   He can't get any job in his field (sports marketing).   He says he now regrets choosing that field.  Of course, I had suggested he take a job working at a sports store or volunteer at school with sports teams.   Nope  - no retail for that boy!   He graduates in a few years.  Meanwhile, his buddies took low paying jobs in their fields (finance, marketing, etc) and are still employed.    IMO, there is nothing wrong with working in the food industry.  He just won't stick with it becuase it's sooo "uncool".

To your post -    +1

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.