Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring to Private University

tag
Pistons0
Valued Member

Transferring to Private University

I am transferring from local community college to private university after next semester. I have taken out 3 federal loans so far totaling 9k, and will pull out a fourth next semester to bring it up to 12k. Parents are relocating out of state and their is really only one 4 year institution within a 45 minute drive from our new town that I can transfer to that fits my educational goals. The dilemma is that it's a 4 year private institution, tution & fees total out at 32k a year, so 65k is a safe bet for total investment after my junior and senior years there. I do know the maximum you can pull out at junior and senior levels is around the 10-12k range in subsidized/ unsubsidized loans per year, I know I will most likely qualify for the eligable transfer scholarship of 6.5k, and possibly some small other scholarships due to my relatively good gpa (3.75). So my question is what is my best option for covering the 10-15k that just wont be covered, is their a different kind of federal loan I could try to get, or are private loans my only hope? I don't have a lot of specifics right now until I visit this colleges' campus in two weeks, but I know my parents EFC is too high for me to qualify for anything but student loans. 

P.S.- I can't live on campus at another cheaper institution due to being tied down by a car payment & job. So I am pretty much limited to living with my parents and commuting, unless I want to forego my 4 year bachelors degree and attempt landing a decent career with an associates in accounting and 12k in student loan debt. 

Scores 5/1/15: EX 746 TU 743 EQ 746

Capital One QS1 $3,800... Capital One QS $3,050... Amex BCE $2,000... Best Buy Store Card $1,000...Discover IT for students $500
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.