Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion error?

tag
Financiers
Valued Member

Transunion error?

Hey everyone,

I ran a 3 credit report and came up with something surprising.  All three credit agencies report the correct student loan through US DEPT OF ED/GLELSI.  However transunion reports another student loan for 3,000 through UI-OSAC, which is concerning since that doesn't make sense.  If I were to dispute this how would I go about doing this?  The account number that's listed isn't the full number so I don't really know how I would find out more information on this.   Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Transunion error?

Are you sure the loan isn't yours?  It is common for people to have loans through different lenders spread over several tradelines because the loans are disbursed on a semester or annual basis.

What is the payment history on the loan?  If it's being paid on time and you aren't paying it, then there's a really good chance it isn't yours.  I would contact the creditor and see what they have on file under your name/social.  If it's a simple credit reporting error that can probably be resolved with a simple dispute, or even in your contact with the creditor.  If they have a loan you didn't take out in your name though, or you have a loan out there you didn't know about that's a whole different problem to tackle.

Message 2 of 3
Financiers
Valued Member

Re: Transunion error?

Thanks SCF,

Alot of that actually made sense.  My loans are deferred until I graduate after this semester. I took another look at the report and saw that it said that it was being paid as agreed (deferred).  The loan service is also through my school.  However, I now feel that this loan could be mine.  The only weird thing is that it would create an amount that I haven't borrowed.  I'm honestly very confused and think I'll look at my records again/ call them to make sure.  Thank you so much for the suggestions.   I should definitely be more proactive in this.  

Thanks again, 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.