Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn me into an expert negotiator? [Discover Loan]

tag
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Turn me into an expert negotiator? [Discover Loan]

I could really use a computer for college (and have had my eye on a Retina Macbook Pro), but I'm in a pretty delicate situation.

My income is very small, and a co-signer is completely out of the question, unfortunately. I was answering Discover's questions for prospective loan customers and answered 'No' to taking on a co-signer, as well as having the credit history and income they desired. After filing out some more pages, they asked to run my credit and said that they could grant me a loan...I just needed to forward on my cosigner information. :/

I intend to call and continue the conversation, since they've already run my credit, what can I do? What has worked for you guys? Anything is appreciated. Smiley Happy

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Turn me into an expert negotiator? [Discover Loan]

Call them back and ask them to reconsider your application without a co-signer.  If they say no, then it might be a blessing in disguise.  Taking out private student loans for a very expensive computer is not something I would do seeing the experience many others have had if they had trouble paying them.  Could you get by with a used Mac, or a less expensive PC and pay cash?  You'd save the interest, and I think you'll thank yourself after you graduate when you aren't stuck with a student loan payment for a years old computer.

Message 2 of 7
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Their criteria is just too strict, they won't even lend me $1000 (their minimum lending amount) without a cosigner. Just have to do without one. :shrugs.:

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 3 of 7
SyntheticMemories
Established Member

If you have maxed out your federal loan limit, you can go talk to your Fin. Aid advisor and tell her you need some extra money because you need a computer,

Many times, they CAN do this.

I work closely with the Fin. Aid team at a University and I tell  my students this when they've  maxed out there loan limit given to them on there Award Letter. Also, if you selected, on your FAFSA, that you wanted to be considered for work study, and either can't find a job or decided you don't want one, they can bump up your loans that way also.

Good luck! 

Wallet: Citi Foward; 10,000, Lane Bryant; 1,800. AMEX BCE: 2,000 Discover IT: 7,200

Starting Score: 738 (2-27-12)
Current Score: Equifax: 786 (1-24-14) Experian: 749 TransUnion: 772 (4-17-12)
Goal Score: 760 across all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Thanks, though I'm not sure that can help. My situation is pretty complicated:

I just finished Spring quarter at my home college, taking a 5 quarter credit class paid for out of pocket.

I have student loans from last for a college I attended in Colorado, and since it's a new year, all my paperwork there needs to be resubmitted (not that I want to attend any more courses there).

I am taking 11 credits through Udacity (a MOOC that has partnered with San Jose State University in California) at a extremely great price, but that categorizes me as 'Continuing Education', and thus, ineligible for financial aid.

After the Udacity courses finished, I intend to roll all the credits together at my home college and am applying for colleges to transfer to. At the moment though, I don't really have a financial aid office. :/

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 5 of 7
SyntheticMemories
Established Member

Well crude. I'm of no help then.

I applied with Wells Fargo a month or so ago for a loan to consolidate all of my private loans. With my outstanding thick file, they still would not budge without a co-signer. 

Wallet: Citi Foward; 10,000, Lane Bryant; 1,800. AMEX BCE: 2,000 Discover IT: 7,200

Starting Score: 738 (2-27-12)
Current Score: Equifax: 786 (1-24-14) Experian: 749 TransUnion: 772 (4-17-12)
Goal Score: 760 across all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Does anyone know if there are any banks that deal with no-cosigner student loans?

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.