cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US DoE Loans showing up on TransUnion - Should be consolidated!

tag
mgm4g5

US DoE Loans showing up on TransUnion - Should be consolidated!

Hey all,

I'm a little worried about 2 US DoE loans showing up on my TransUnion credit report. They are from Sept 2008 and Jan 2009, though both have a "Status as of" date of Jan 2009.

Since I graduated May 2012, I had all of my government loans consolidated. Equifax and Experian do not show these two loans, but TransUnion still does... I'm worried because -- what if these loans are still out there and I'm not paying on them??

I called the number on the TransUnion report and got to the US Department of Education. Through their automated system, it verified that all of my loans have "paid in full" status. If this is the case, why are they still showing up on TransUnion reports?

Also, I'm in the middle of trying to buy a house so this really scares me.

On my report, this is how the loans show up:

U.S. Dept Of Ed - Direct

Status as of: Jan, 2009
Date opened: Sep, 2008
Account number: XXXXXX5122
Loan type: Student Loan
Largest past balance: $2,000
Account Type: Installment Account
Account holder: Individual Account
Scheduled Payment Amount: $50
Industry: Government

Descriptions: Student loan not in repayment

Balance: $2,000

Current Status: Unrated

U.S. Dept Of Ed - Direct

Status as of: Jan, 2009
Date opened: Jan, 2009
Account number: XXXXXX5123
Loan type: Student Loan
Largest past balance: $2,457
Account Type: Installment Account
Account holder: Individual Account
Scheduled Payment Amount: $50
Industry: Government
Descriptions:  Student loan not in repayment

Balance: $2,457

Current Status: Unrated

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: US DoE Loans showing up on TransUnion - Should be consolidated!

Go to the National Student Loan Data System at www.nslds.gov to look up your loans. You should be able to correlate the partial account number listed on your TU report with the loans in NSLDS-just click on the blue sqare icon in front of any loan to get the full information about its status and the servicer/guarantor/lender info. Once you verify what it says there you can figure out what course of action to take.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 7
mgm4g5

I see all the loans (except the new consolidation loans) showing a $0 balance. All their statuses are "NON-DEFAULTED, PAID IN FULL THROUGH CONSOLIDATION LOAN"... However, I'm not seeing any of them that directly correlate with the two reported on TransUnion... 

Not sure what to do from here...

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

I would call the DOE, and let them know you have two loans showing up on your credit report that do not appear on your NSLDS listing. That is really odd....maybe they're reporting someone else's loans somehow? I had something similar happen, someone else's inquiry was on my report due to a clerical error.

I probably wouldn't dispute with TU just yet, because sometimes they just check the automated reporting information. They don't always do what normal folks would think of as an actual investigation.....so it might not help. Start with the DOE.

Message 4 of 7
mgm4g5

Thank you for the advice... I called the US DoE and let them know of the situation. As far as what they can see, I have a $0 balance and all of my loans have been paid in full (consolidation loan).

They recommended that I mail them a copy of my credit reporting showing it still reporting those two loans, circle them, and write up a few sentences stating that these should not be showing up on my report.

I think I'm going to wait until my mortgage process is over to keep things less complicated... Even though it does raise my Debt-to-Income ratio by $100/mo by being on the credit report.

Message 5 of 7
mgm4g5

Mortgage company is now having the credit checking company conference me in with US DoE to sort it out... Here we go again...

Message 6 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

What. A. Hassle.

Good luck...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.