cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

University of Phoenix Collection Account

tag
4sarahg

University of Phoenix Collection Account

I desperately need help.  I had an account with UOP in 2004 that went to collection agency Apollo Group Inc.  I paid off my debt in 2005 and have contacted both UOP and Apollo Group Inc. Which happen to be the same entity and asked to have it removed from my credit report as they had promised.  They are now telling me that they will make sure that the collection stays on my account for ten years before having it removed.  Should I mail them a GW letter or will this make them more upset at me.  Can someone please advise me on this situation.....

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 678
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: University of Phoenix Collection Account

It will not stay on your record for 10 years. Accounts that go to collections will be deleted between 7-7.5 years from the date of first delinquency (DOFD). Whatever month you missed your first payment, that led to the collection, will be the DOFD.

Unfortunately, you need to get everything in writing when you do a PFD (pay for delete). They can say whatever they want on the phone to get you to pay, but unless you get it in writing that they will delete the trade line from your reports, they don't have to do anything (and wont). You can write a goodwill letter, but now that they have your money they have no reason to help you out. 

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 2 of 3
4sarahg

Re: University of Phoenix Collection Account

Thanks for your input I will send a goodwill letter out to them.  Although I must say I am having some trouble getting my account number.  Thanks again

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 678
Goal Score: 750

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.