Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Student loan collections

tag
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Updated Student loan collections

Since I've been rehabbing since January, I noticed my TLs are reported as collections. Do banks consider these new derogs? Or are they an attachment of the OC of the defaulted loan? How does this look in lenders eyes when applying for new credit?
Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Updated Student loan collections

In terms of impact on your credit, SL collections are much the same as any other defaulted debt.  Some lenders are more sensitive to defaults than others, but if you can wait until your rehab is complete to apply for new credit, you'll probably get better terms and have a higher chance of approval.

Message 2 of 9
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

That's what I plan on doing. I'm happy where i'm at so far. for it's only been 5 months into the rebuilding. I'm farther ahead than I thought I would be. I just wanted to get some clarification. I don't like getting the denial letter in the mail and it states "serious delinquencies" as the contributing factor to the denial.

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 3 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Don't they remove the derogs after you are rehabbed?

Yes, each tradeline, if listed as a collection, is a negative on your reports. Might be work the 20 bucks to get Score/report here at myfico because they break everything down in such a great way to help you understand your report & score (If you haven't done this alredy).
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 9
kjel
Established Contributor

My defaulted loans reported as the original trade lines that showed $0 balance, transferred (with the lates) AND collections account trade lines with full balances. When I finished rehab, I was picked up by Nelnet who reported two new trade lines with the same opening date as the original trade lines. The collections accounts were deleted. There was no removal of the lates on the original trade lines leading up to the default. The Dept of Ed explanation of rehabs do not state that the lates will be removed although many of their collection agencies do tell people that they will be. Some folks have been lucky and gotten them removed but many of us have not.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 5 of 9
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Oh I do have SW on here. At the beginning of the year when I started getting back into the game of rebuilding, I pulled all 3 reports. The sucky thing was the printer i used was running out of ink and faded out my report numbers on TU and EQ. The only I know is EX and have been monitoring that religiously. But all three have the same tradelines when it comes to my student loans.

It also seems that 2 of my student loans(AES/PHEAA) are are assigned to their internal collection department, but my payments go through Account Control Technology. Not sure how this will affect the loans after they are rehabbed. and my other loan is a perkins loan, in collection with the DOE.

Message 6 of 9
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

I also have this on the two collection accounts. What does this truly mean since I'm rehabbing and that won't be done until October?

Collection account. $2,467 past due as of May 2013.

Status Details:
This account is scheduled to continue on record until Aug 2013.
Message 7 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

The collection has to follow the credit reporting timeline of 7 years (and RobertEG will say plus six months to give the CRA's time do remove it). So if it has reported 7 years it should go.

As soon as Aug hits, I would dispute it and say past CRTP.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 9
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. That would be huge for me if that were to happen. That would only leave the original TLs to deal with. I would feel much better with that scenario.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.