justanotherusername

Using student loan to increase score

I just finished submitting my FAFSA online, which I'm sure 99% of you know is for school financial aid. If I chose to accept only the subsidized stafford loan (US Dept. of Ed. pays the interest while I am attending college), how would I go about using this opportunity to increase my credit score? I have enough money saved up so when I receive the loan, it will probably be left untouched. Say I chose to accept $5000, should I pay $500 every month for the next 10 months to increase my credit score? $250 for 20 months? Or will my score decrease? Any help would be appreciated.
pizzadude

Re: Using student loan to increase score

justanotherusername wrote:
I just finished submitting my FAFSA online, which I'm sure 99% of you know is for school financial aid. If I chose to accept only the subsidized stafford loan (US Dept. of Ed. pays the interest while I am attending college), how would I go about using this opportunity to increase my credit score? I have enough money saved up so when I receive the loan, it will probably be left untouched. Say I chose to accept $5000, should I pay $500 every month for the next 10 months to increase my credit score? $250 for 20 months? Or will my score decrease? Any help would be appreciated.

As an installment loan, the amount how borrow, or how quickly you pay it really won't do anything to affect your FICO score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+