Established Member
celluloid

Variable or fixed APR?

I am planning on taking out some student loans in about two years, by which time I will have good credit. Most places require I have a cosigner as well (because I don't have U.S. citizenship), so I should qualify for a very reasonable interest rate. My question is, should I get a fixed APR or variable? Fixed APRs are a few percentage points higher, which will obviously mean a lot of extra costs while still in school. But variable APRs have an element of uncertainty. If I am approved for a good variable APR initially, what would make my APR go up?
Community Leader<br> Valued Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
SCF

Re: Variable or fixed APR?

You'll have to read the terms of the loan carefully to understand how your interest rate can change - it will vary from lender to lender, and may even change over time, or between different loan products.  Most lenders will set their variable rate as a fixed percentage + the prime rate, but how often they will adjust it, and how high your rate can go is totally dependent on the terms of the loan.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}