cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF EFS student loan?

tag
murcury

WF EFS student loan?

I ordered my power report to see if a few things that were on my report were removed...looks like most of it did!

I did find this and was looking for some help decifering it.  I am trying to figure out when it will fall of my credit report. 

Here is was is listed:

Credit AccountWf Efs

Status as ofDate opened [?]Date of last activity [?]Account number [?]Largest past balance [?]Account Type [?]Account holder [?]Industry
May, 2007
Sep, 1999
Aug, 2006
XXXXXXXXXXXXX0001
$6,951
Installment
Maker
All Banks

Descriptions
  • Transferred to recovery
  • Claim filed with government

$0120+ days past due
    Seven year payment history 30 days late60 days late90+ days late
    0 times
    1 time (Oct 2006)
    6 times (Apr 2007, Mar 2007, Feb 2007, Jan 2007, Dec 2006, Nov 2006)
    Recent payment history
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: WF EFS student loan?

The "Claim filed with government" notation makes me think this was a federal student loan.  If that is the case, it may never fall off your credit report.  There is no statute of limitations on federal loans, and they are very difficult to discharge, even in bankruptcy.  They may disappear after a number of years, but eventually they will be transferred to a new collection agency, or some other activity will put them right back on your report (in most cases).

I'd reccomend going to the website I mentioned in my other post, nslds.ed.gov and getting a good handle on what loans you owe and who holds them.  With federal loans, you have the option to rehabilitate them by making 9 months of on-time payments to the collection agency.  At the end of the rehab, your loans will be taken out of default status, and sold to a servicer who will report new, clean tradelines for you.  The collection accounts will also disappear permanently.

The best way to handle improving your credit with federal loans is to rehab them and then make a plan to pay them down on-time.

Message 2 of 4
murcury

This loan was not listed on that site.  I do have 4 federal loans that I am currently paying on, and doing a good job with.  they are listed on that site, as well as a loan that was paid off and a perkins loan that is in default currentl.    The 4 were in default, but I got on a rehab program, made my 9 payments on time, and am now back to a good status on those.  

Message 3 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Since its a private loan, it follows most of the same rules as other debts, although depending on your state, the statute of limitations might be different.  Negative information comes off your report about 7 to 7.5 years after it occurs.  So each late would start to fall off this year, and the then account would be removed based on its date of last activity.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.