Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wage Garnishment and Rehab

tag
jacksont81

Wage Garnishment and Rehab

Hi everyone,

I am currently being garnished for owing student loans. The loans are through direct loans from DOE. As of 3/5 my balance was about $3500 and I am being garnished $355 per paycheck. I get paid twice a month on 2 set dates. Now I am in the process of fixing my credit and I want to rehab the loan however how would that work since the loan seems like it will be paid off soon through my garnishment. I know rehab requires 9 consecutive months of payments on time but what if I dont have 9 months worth of payments since it will be paid off soon through garnishment. I honestly dont want to stop garnishment because I want this loan out of the way and paid off however I want my credit report to come from out of default for this student loan and remove all negatives regarding the loan. I guess I am asking is rehab available to me?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jacksont81

Re: Wage Garnishment and Rehab

BUMP Update I just got off the phone with the CA who has my student loan account and they stated since my balance is so low, I cant do the rehab program because it has to be 9 consecutive months of payments and I wont be able to make any payments with the loan being paid off soon. I asked her what would be my next available option because I dont want my credit report to say paid involuntary. She stated I can either pay the balance in full with them over the phone now and my credit report will say paid in full or I can settle with them for 3 months of a settlement amount but my check will still be garnished while I am paying the settlement amount over 3 months and my credit report will say paid settled. Obviously paid in full on my credit looks better than the other 2 options. I just dont have all the money right now to pay it in full. What do you think I should do? Agree to settlement which I can pay while my check is still being garnished but it wont be for much longer since the loan amount is so low. Then once everything is paid off, write or call to DOE to have them changed the paid settled on my credit report to said paid in full? Is that even an option? Please help someone.

Message 2 of 4
Involver
Valued Contributor

I got my CA to reduce my garnishment from 280 per check to 25 and got into rehab. See if you can get them to reduce it. Rehab is by far the preferred outcome here.
Message 3 of 4
jacksont81

@Involver wrote:
I got my CA to reduce my garnishment from 280 per check to 25 and got into rehab. See if you can get them to reduce it. Rehab is by far the preferred outcome here.

Thank you Involver, I will try again tomorrow. My balance for the loan is about $1200 and I am being garnished $350 per check so thats why it will be paid off soon through garnishment but I dont want my credit report to state that. I am going to try and get them to lower garnishment and then go into rehab. Please cross your fingers for me.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.