Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wage garnishment unemployment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wage garnishment unemployment

So I voluntary will be quitting my job and will be starting a new one in March. Department of Education was garnishing my wages at my current job. What should I do after I quit my current job? Contact them and let them know I am no longer employed to defer and ask if I can get rehab after I get a new job instead of garnishment?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Wage garnishment unemployment

Honestly, you should begin rehab on your loans as soon as possible.  With the new rules that went through, the starting point for rehab payments is the IBR formula, so they should be very low while you are unemployed and stay reasonable even if you start working again.  From what I've read on these forums, CAs usually stop the garnishment at some point during rehab - I've seen examples of 3-6 months in.

Rehab is greatly preferable to garnishment, and will have benefits for your credit as well.

Edit: After a bit more reading, it looks like the garnishment can be suspended at your request after 5 on-time rehab payments.  This is the article I've read, it seems like a solid overview of the changes to the rehab program.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for that info! I will get the ball rolling tomorrow. 

One thing that concerns me a bit is the Department of Education who is garnishing my wages possibly going after my bank account. I read that they can do that after you become unemployed. Should I just take that money out and put it under the pillow? 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called Transworld Systems and CBE group, told them I will be unemployed starting Friday. Both sent me paperwork to fill out, my payments will be minimum of $5 which I decided to set at $25 for now, after the 5 months, the loans will be rehabilitated. Yay! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.