Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wages garnished for student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wages garnished for student loans

New poster here, and I promise I did spend a long time trying to find some answers in this forum before posting my issue.

I defaulted on a $7K loan through the US Dept of Education and they garnished my wages before I was able to intervene.  That was 15 months ago, and in two months, the debt will be paid in full.

I just pulled my Experian report and it is showing a seriously delinquent loan in collections status.  No judgment reported.  Does anyone have experience with this?  What happens when it's fully paid-off?  Will the judgment show up then? 

If the judgment isn't reported, can I try to get the negative line deleted once it is paid off, or am I opening up a can of worms by pointing out that the judgment was never reported in the first place?  I got the $1 Experian report, so it's not showing what the DoFD is.  It says it was opened in 11/95** Edit:  just saw that the Dep't of Education doesn't need a judgment in order to garnish my wages.  There's a stroke of good luck.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Wages garnished for student loans

Yes, i was going to mention that I didn't think the DOE needed an actual judgement.  Usually once the account is paid, it will change to something like "paid after charge off".  Unfortunately, even that status really doesn't help much.  As time passes, with a good payment history, that will start to hurt less.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.