cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait..completing SL rehab gets lates removed??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait..completing SL rehab gets lates removed??

People are getting old lates removed after rehab?? I have not defaulted, but I have several lates on 2 loans (honestly, just figured out it was 2 loans, not 1), both 180+ days late. Is there anything I can do? It is basically the only bad thing on my credit report, but it has killed my score.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wait..completing SL rehab gets lates removed??

what ive heard is goodwill letters sometimes work for removeing lates,just rehabbed 7 student loans,lates come off EQ but not other 2 yet,only been a month though gona dispute the other 2 and write some goodwill letters,

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

People are getting old lates removed after rehab?? I have not defaulted, but I have several lates on 2 loans (honestly, just figured out it was 2 loans, not 1), both 180+ days late. Is there anything I can do? It is basically the only bad thing on my credit report, but it has killed my score.

It really doesn't seem fair to me.  We can let the loans default, make 9 (or is it 12) payments and suddenly everything is roses.  Or, we can get behind, bring it current, make 9 (or 12) payments and be stuck with the previous bad for 7 years.  I really don't get it. But I'm right there with you.  But I have 14 loans reporting lates and all have been current for over 2 years. ARRGH

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

try goodwill letters heard several people got lates off just like your situation,sometimes it takes several to work,who is the loans with.some people email the ceo of the company,some email advocate program of the student loan place

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your replies. My loan is through Navient.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It really doesn't seem fair to me.  We can let the loans default, make 9 (or is it 12) payments and suddenly everything is roses.  Or, we can get behind, bring it current, make 9 (or 12) payments and be stuck with the previous bad for 7 years.  I really don't get it. But I'm right there with you.  But I have 14 loans reporting lates and all have been current for over 2 years. ARRGH

I  agree. Honestly, that did enter my mind, that it doesn't seem fair. Please..don't get me wrong, I am truly truly happy for those who have gotten that second chance. I just wish that everybody could get that. And..I admit, I do feel disappointed and discouraged that making the effort to not go into default is not rewarded, but defaulting is. As for goodwill letters, I don't know what to say. There are so many people who have had such serious hardships, illness, death. I can see that goodwill letters would be effective there. But me..what do I say? I was really really broke? Seriously, I was really broke. I went without hot water for 8 mo. Morale was low. My student loan wasn't my priority, but I paid rent, had a roof over my head. I am grateful for that. I'd like to apply for a mortgage loan and say to the lender, when I wasn't paying my student loan I was paying my rent. That was my priority, and that's why I qualify for a home loan! Lol..ridiculous, I know.

Honestly..now, I wish I had just defaulted. They threatened I was going to, and in the interest of preserving whatever credit I had, I struggled not to. And for what? I would be almost done with rehad by now. *sigh* I'm sorry for the rant people. I am not usually so negative and I have plenty to be grateful for. I just got frustrated. But..now that I got that out, I will try to remain positive. Thank you to everyone that has read this and to those who have responded. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

try goodwill letters heard several people got lates off just like your situation,sometimes it takes several to work,who is the loans with.some people email the ceo of the company,some email advocate program of the student loan place

Goodwill letters are very rarely successful with SL lates.  There is always the exception, but even with retro-active forebearance getting SL lates removed just isn't going to happen for 99.8% of us.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

well after rehab 7 loans EQ took off lates with first dispute,EX changed 120 days late on payment status to unknown,TU hasnt done crap,2nd dispute with them 2 still going,ive emailed mavient s ceo,vice president,advocate,even facebook navient with goodwill letters they all state we cant remove lates because of federal laws blah blah blah.even tried goodwill letter for car loan i had couple years ago with only 1 30 days late is all i missed paid it off in full 7 months early wrote them 2 times they wont remove the late.so i say im done with goodwill letters,paid 2 of the 7 loans off in full when they first went back to navient,finally updated paid in full with EQ waiting on update on TU,EX to see if that changes late payments on navient.if not going to dispute every month and try to see if credit repair place can remove them.im 48 years old and ive never got so pissed before trying to rebuild wifes credit,the waiting and haveing to do things over n over again,6/7/16 scores where 510s now going on 5 months 646,636,606,4 more collections need to come off which will be done this month,then get her a unsecured credit card very soon

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

well after rehab 7 loans EQ took off lates with first dispute,EX changed 120 days late on payment status to unknown,TU hasnt done crap,2nd dispute with them 2 still going,ive emailed mavient s ceo,vice president,advocate,even facebook navient with goodwill letters they all state we cant remove lates because of federal laws blah blah blah.even tried goodwill letter for car loan i had couple years ago with only 1 30 days late is all i missed paid it off in full 7 months early wrote them 2 times they wont remove the late.so i say im done with goodwill letters,paid 2 of the 7 loans off in full when they first went back to navient,finally updated paid in full with EQ waiting on update on TU,EX to see if that changes late payments on navient.if not going to dispute every month and try to see if credit repair place can remove them.im 48 years old and ive never got so pissed before trying to rebuild wifes credit,the waiting and haveing to do things over n over again,6/7/16 scores where 510s now going on 5 months 646,636,606,4 more collections need to come off which will be done this month,then get her a unsecured credit card very soon

Well you got 2 out of 3! I know it is so easy to get discouraged. I've only been a member a few days and it's so overwhelming to see all the people on here, like me, trying to repair not just their credit..but their lives. I understand the point of rating credibility, but it is hard to be summed up in just a number. Good luck to you and your wife! It sounds like things are really picking up for you. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

I realized that I could rehab my loans a little too late. I had already consolidated the loans and didnt realize that quite a few of them were reporting late. Rehabbing loans are about money, as long as you pay consistently within 9-12 months then they remove the lates. I guess its a good trade off now looking back because the lates are bringing my score down considerably as well. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well after i rehabbed all 7 loans couple months ago some come off some didnt,now 3 months later all 7 are back with all the lates still on all 3.i tried everything to get the lates removed but no luck,started 6/7/16 with morgage score 510 now my morgage scores are 650,675,682 so i can get a house at least.i think navient is getting investigated thats where all my loans are now and my original loans was with them,hopefully something will happen with that

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.