Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird student-loan related tradelines - should I dispute or let them stay

tag
gizmotchy
Valued Member

Weird student-loan related tradelines - should I dispute or let them stay

Hey everyone!

I'm mostly finished with cleaning up all the baddies from my reports, only have one remaining bad tradeline left, and it's a student loan tradeline.  However, there are some weird things about it that make me not sure exactly what, if anything, to do about them.

I recently completed the rehab process on my student loans, and they were picked up by FedLoan Servicing post-rehab - this occured in April 2015.  The rehabbed loans are showing up on my reports, with no negatives currently (I've setup auto payments for them so I never miss a payment).  However, my confusion is in how the loans appeared on my reports prior to the completion of rehab.  For history's sake, I left school in 1993, and consolidated my student loans in 2001, so as of that point, I only have one official student loan.

Forgive the length, but I want to try to make sure I get as much info out there as possible regarding this, so I can figure out the right way to proceed.

On my May 2014 Transunion reports (taken from the MyFico History as I lost the digital downloads of my 2014 stuff) I see the following:

Transunion 2014:

U.S. Dept Of Ed - Direct
Status as of Jun, 2011
Date opened [?] Dec, 2001
Date of last activity [?] May, 2010
Date closed [?] Jun, 2011
Account number [?] XXXXXX9071
Loan type [?] Student Loan
Largest past balance [?] $8,215
Account Type [?] Installment Account
Account holder [?] Individual Account
Scheduled Payment Amount [?] $93
Industry Government
No Payment History

This tradeline is still present on 2015 TU report

From May 2014 Experian:

Experian 2014:

U S Dept Of Ed/Gsl/Atl
Status as of May, 2014
Date of last activity [?] Not Available
Loan type [?] Education Loan
Terms [?] 36 Months
Account Type [?] Installment
Account holder [?] Individual
Industry Federal Government
90+Days Late 18 times
Status: Account seriously past due date/account assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's public collection department

This tradeline no longer present on 2015 EX report - it appears to have been removed when I completed rehab.

From May 2014 Equifax:

Us Department Of Edu
Status as of May, 2014
Date of last activity [?] Jun, 2010
Largest past balance [?] $8,033
Terms [?] (36 Months)
Industry Federal
90+ Days Late 20 times

This tradeline no longer on 2015 EQ report - apparently deleted on completion of rehab

U S Department Of Ed
Status as of Jun, 2011
Date of last activity [?] May, 2010
Account number [?] XXXXXX9071
Largest past balance [?] $8,215
Terms [?] (162 Months)
Scheduled Payment Amount [?] $93
Industry Other
90+ Days Late 15 times

This tradeline still present on 2015 EQ report

So in 2014, TU and EX both had one tradeline for the student loans, while EQ had 2.  When I completed rehab, it appears that EQ and EX both deleted one of the tradelines (the recently updated ones), leaving tradelines on TU and EQ not updated since 2011, and EX totally clean.  These remaining tradelines are currently set to delete in mid-2017.  NSLDS also indicates only a single consolidation loan as of 2001, all others showing a balance of 0.

It almost seems to me like the 2 remaining tradelines are something old, and should not be there anymore, given the fact their last update was in 2011.  The two that were being updated (on EX and EQ) were deleted when rehab was completed, but the old tradelines *should* be the same loan, effectively.

What would the experts recommend?  I am current right now after rehab, and plan to stay that way, but I'd like to get these old entries for what is effectively the same loan off my reports so they are clean again.

Beginning Scores 5/10/2014: EX 604, EQ 587, TU 658 Current 11/9/2015: EQ 665 TU 665 (FAKO) EX 659 (FAKO)
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.