Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo/AES allegedly gave me a private student loan in 2008 - Charged Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo/AES allegedly gave me a private student loan in 2008 - Charged Off

So in 2008, I applied to, and was accepted to U of Illinois Urbana Champaign for Electrical Engineering. I was all set to go and got a private financial aid package.

About a month before my first semester, I decided to read the *paper* application for my program, as I was curious as to how it differed from the online only application. I found that the paper application asks about criminal convictions, whereas the online application had only a felony question. So in the interest of doing things "by the book" and being honest, I asked about this discrepancy between the applications. They said I should follow the paper one, so I submitted an ammended application detailing some misdemeanors I had prior.

They rescinded the offer to attend the number 4 (depending on who you ask) EE school in the US, for old misdemeanors, one month before the start of the semester.

So I am obviously disappointed, and I apply to other schools and get accepted at a top 10 EE school instead of a top 5 one. Meanwhile, in the throes of the '08 Mortgage/Banking financial meltdown, my private loan company happened to be Lehman Brothers. Well we all know what happened to them! After they collapsed, I figured my loan for UIUC would be cancelled as I never attended.

After I graduated engineering school (no thanks to UIUC, but big ups to UMich!) I started getting calls and letters from Wells Fargo about a private student loan debt from 2008 UIUC. I explain all of the above, many, many times. They still hounded for years after that, and I eventually stopped responding.

Now it's been nearly ten years, and there is still a "charge off" on my credit report from Wells Fargo after they purchased Lehman, or bought the alleged "debt" or something, I'm not sure what happened really. Disputing it does nothing, as I'm sure many of you know.

So the original "loan" is reporting as this: 

And the servicer they sold the "loan" to has this gem on my report:

I've long since stopped trying to reason with the CRA's, CA's and the "OC" (even though the "OC" is essentially defunct now).

I am just waiting for these two to "fall off" or become "excluded" from my Credit Report. How much longer do I have?

Keep in mind that this was a *private* "loan".

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.