cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are student loan interest rates like today?

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

What are student loan interest rates like today?

I had a friend who consolidated loans back in 2006 or so and the rate was 2.875% but was able to bring it down by 0.25% with auto debit from checking so it's 2.62%.

Anyone got a better rate that is actively making payments (non forbearance)?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: What are student loan interest rates like today?

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

I had a friend who consolidated loans back in 2006 or so and the rate was 2.875% but was able to bring it down by 0.25% with auto debit from checking so it's 2.62%.

Are you talking about federal loans? I graduated in 2008, and three of my loans are 2.33%. With the autopay discount its 2.08%. The interest rate is set by the government, though, and it's not sensitive to scores at all. It just depends on what time period the money was disbursed. 

Message 2 of 5
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Are you talking about federal loans? I graduated in 2008, and three of my loans are 2.33%. With the autopay discount its 2.08%. The interest rate is set by the government, though, and it's not sensitive to scores at all. It just depends on what time period the money was disbursed. 

^^

Thanks for the reply, the one I am referring to is a private health nursing school loan, yours is a great rate!

Message 3 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Don;t expect rates like that anymore
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 5
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the link!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.