cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What other options i have for my student loans in order to go away?

tag
aissa_sf
Established Member

What other options i have for my student loans in order to go away?

I just filed chapter7 and of course student loans is not dischargeable. I have been trying to get rid of it becuase ever since I have never used my education. 

Plus the school never gave me the right job so now I'm stuck and my student loan are now on default. FYI. I have 3 kids and single mom. I have

been trying to start over and just filled chapter 7 last november. It has been discharged. I'm willing to pay it just to get away but I don't wanna pay it all.

I tried to pay it long time ago but ever since I filled and got pregnants I've been trying to pushed it back. That was 10 years ago since. There's time that they tried

to garnish my account because it has been default but after i contest it they gave me the money back.

What to do please? Need help. Thx.

Starting Score FICO SCORE 8: Equifax 605, TU 609, Experian 620, Bankruptcy November 9, 2011 (Discharge Date)
Rebuilding. In my wallet CAP1 @ $300 now $500 after 6 months, Cap1 @ $300, Synchrony/Old Navy, Walmart @ $200 Auto loan - $25K @ $490/month, school loan $20K, 4 hard inquiry
Goal Score: 700

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: What other options i have for my student loans in order to go away?

"I have been trying to get rid of it becuase ever since I have never used my education. 

Plus the school never gave me the right job so now I'm stuck ..."

Not a valid reason for not paying your student loans.   

The debt is not going to go away.   They will probably pursue many methods of getting their money back.

You can try to settle with the lenders/CA's or make the payments.

Take some time and go over your budget and figure out what you can afford to pay them each paycheck.   Then start sending it to them, or save it up while you are negotiating with them to settle.

Message 2 of 5
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

I agree. Try to make a payment arrangement. Also, if applicable, try to go into a rehabilitation for the loans. It helps a lot!

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 3 of 5
aissa_sf
Established Member

Thank you all! I'm also seeking lawyer to have them write me a letter so that they stop collection and garnishments. I'm scared to call them.

Starting Score FICO SCORE 8: Equifax 605, TU 609, Experian 620, Bankruptcy November 9, 2011 (Discharge Date)
Rebuilding. In my wallet CAP1 @ $300 now $500 after 6 months, Cap1 @ $300, Synchrony/Old Navy, Walmart @ $200 Auto loan - $25K @ $490/month, school loan $20K, 4 hard inquiry
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 5
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

DOnt be scared. They will be willing to help you. If you get into a rehabilitation agreement with them, they will (after a certain amount of paymetns- I think 3 to 6) they will automatically stop garnishing your wages and taking your tax return. I was in a similiar boat as you, I didint know where to start ither, but they will work with you. You will be able to make payments that you can afford and after a while (9 payments) you can consolidate if you have more than one loan. 

DONT BE SCARED, MAKE TODAY THE DAY YOU TAKE BACK CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE!

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.