Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with $10K student loan

tag
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

What should I do with $10K student loan

I'm sitting at about $10K studen loan at 6% interest.  I plan to buy a house within the next two years, and possibly start looking/shopping beginning of 2015.   I have no other debt other than a credit card balance of $500.   I make about $75k.  My current savings is about $17k.  My scores are in my sig.  How much would it jump to if I were to reduce it to say $5K?  Also, is there any advantage as far as credit scores and home shopping are concerned for me to try to pay off my student loan or get it to within $1K before I start talking to banks about a mortgage --- or is $10k not that "big of a deal" relatively speaking?

Thanks!

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: What should I do with $10K student loan

reducing the 10k to 5k won't give you a huge bump in score but it will save you a lot in interest over time. Normally I would say pay off the debt but if you really need to buy a house within the next 2 years you are going to need to get a down payment from somewhere and right now you already have 17k so you might want to use that + what you save in the next 2 years as a downpayment.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 9
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated!  I think I will keep at making decent-size payments on the loan (but not go crazy) and just try to add  to the future downpayment fund. 

Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 3 of 9
SCF
Valued Contributor

I think that's a good plan.  You may also want to check out the Mortgage forums here, there is a lot of good advice about how to build positive credit history and get your profile and finances ready to apply.

Message 4 of 9
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Yea, I'm normally always against people not paying off debt when possible but you really want as big as a down payment on a house as possible especially since that interest that will accrue over time will be much more then the little bit of interest coming from your student loans
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 9
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Thank you.  I was leaning toward that direction, but now it's a no brainer after everyone's input.

Message 6 of 9
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

What do you pay per month towards it? If you make $75k a year and have no other debt you can save for a house and pay that $10k off in 6-8 months. 

Message 7 of 9
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

What do you pay per month towards it? If you make $75k a year and have no other debt you can save for a house and pay that $10k off in 6-8 months. 

Sadly, I am not paying as much as I should, admittedly.  It's currently at $250/month, but I was planning to increase it to at least to $400 - $500 /month.   My problem is definitely eating out and random expenses that add up.    I do want to have as a big a downpayment as possible (goal: $50k), so I definitely will have to juggle the loan and the saving carefully. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a friend who was in a similar boat. She had 25k in student loans, but is making pretty close to 100k (nurse). She bought a house through the FHA loan (3.5% downpayment), then refinanced into a conventional mortgage after she aggressively paid off her student loan. All within a year, I believe. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.