Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about a Variable Interest Student Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do about a Variable Interest Student Loan

Hello all,

I am fairly new to posting on these (been reading them for months though Smiley Tongue) I usually hang out in the credit card forums lol Anyway I could really use some advice on a student loan issue I am having so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I have a few federal Sallie Mae loans that are in -inschool def at the moment but i also have one private student loan that my mother cosigned with me on Nov of 2008 due to some serious financial issues and it being the only option that we knew of at the time. Now that I know alot more about credit and finances I am trying to figure out a way to get this loan refinanced or something because I just actually understood the paperwork on the loan and I borrowed 15k but due to its variable interest and repayment terms I will end up paying 240 payments of $300 bucks for a total of over 72k for this loan. What do I do to get out of this without paying that ridiculous amount? Should I pay down on it now? Can you refinance SLs or is there something else I should do?! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do about a Variable Interest Student Loan

Hello.  If you are able too, you should start paying down the loan now.  The longer it sits, the more interest that accrues which only raises the balance at an ever increasing rate.  You can refinance student loans but I am not sure how easy that is to do with private loans (public ones are easier).  I will see if I can find anything and if I can, I will edit this post to show the new information.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.