Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do Student Loans Report?

tag
Raiders1
Valued Member

When do Student Loans Report?

Can anyone tell me when do student loans report to the CRAs. Is it when they first give you the loan? When you graduate or when the payments start?

Starting Scores:
EQ FICO 648 - TU08 598 - EX FAKO 544 (1/2012)
Current Scores: EQ 703 - TU 767 - EX 750
In My Wallet: AMEX BCE ($22.5K), Discover It ($10K), USAA World MC ($9K), Chase Freedom ($8K), Fidelity Rewards ($5K), Citi Double Cash ($4.5K) Walmart ($4.5K),
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Re: When do Student Loans Report?

I've always wondered about this too, and don't have a definitive answer. 

I was continuously enrolled full time from 2001-2008 at colleges/universities for my undergrad and grad work, and had FFEL loans disbursed every academic term.  

Some of them started reporting to CRAs as early as 2003, while others didn't start reporting until I was completely done in 08.  I checked to see if it had anything to do with subsidized vs. unsbusidized, and it didn't. 

Anyhoo, curious about this as well. I'm actually happy that some of mine started reporting while I was still in school because they all show positive payment status for years on end. 

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 2 of 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

They will report once the loans are disbursed - so when your school actually receives the money.  Normally it doesn't happen right away though, because student loans come with a period where you can send back some or all of the money with no cost or penalty and that adjusts the initial balance of the loan.  Once the loan is sent, accepted, and that time period has passed, they should start reporting the next time that servicer sends data out to the CRAs.

You'll likely have several tradelines, possibly multiple for each semester or year depending on how your loans are structured and how many types of loans you are receieving.

Message 3 of 5
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

@SCF wrote:

They will report once the loans are disbursed - so when your school actually receives the money.  Normally it doesn't happen right away though, because student loans come with a period where you can send back some or all of the money with no cost or penalty and that adjusts the initial balance of the loan.  Once the loan is sent, accepted, and that time period has passed, they should start reporting the next time that servicer sends data out to the CRAs.

You'll likely have several tradelines, possibly multiple for each semester or year depending on how your loans are structured and how many types of loans you are receieving.

Now I really wonder why that wasn't the case for any of my student loan tradelines.  I could use the positive history that's missing for a bunch of mine. 

I'll be looking into this now. 

Thanks, SCF.

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 4 of 5
iowapilot84
Established Member

@SCF wrote:

+1

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - $25K / Amex Hilton - $5K / Amex Hilton Surpass - $30K / Amex SimplyCash - $10K / Amex Platinum - NPSL / B&N MasterCard - $5K / BofA Travel Rewards - $2K / BofA Alaska Airlines - $8K / Capital One QuickSilver - $38K / Chase Hyatt - $15,000 / Chase Amazon - $9K / Chase IHG Rewards - $11K / Chase Marriott Premier - $10k / Chase United Explorer - $19.5K / Citi DoubleCash - $5.5K / Citi ThankYou Preferred -$23.1K / Citi AAdvantage - $17.5K / Citi Premier - $9.3K / Citi Prestige - $20K / Discover IT - $9K / Discover IT Miles - $9K / Fidelity Amex - $3K / Kohls - $1K / Lowes - $10K / PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards - $24.5K / PNC Visa - $9K / Target Charge - $500 / US Bank Club Carlson Premier Rewards - $7.5K / CU Visa - $11K / Wyndham Rewards - $5.6K

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.