Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for Private Student Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to apply for Private Student Loan?

I'll be transferring to University in the Fall, and will probably start needing the funds sometime in August, and I was wondering when the best time to apply for Private student loans will be? It'll be my first time taking out the loans, so I'm not too knowledged about how long the whole process takes.

Any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to apply for Private Student Loan?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be transferring to University in the Fall, and will probably start needing the funds sometime in August, and I was wondering when the best time to apply for Private student loans will be? It'll be my first time taking out the loans, so I'm not too knowledged about how long the whole process takes.

Any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have the same question.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the exact same position. Does anyone have any advice to give?

Message 3 of 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Look into federal loans first, only apply for private loans as a last resort.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luscher wrote:

Thanks for the advice, but it's not federal aid that I'm completely clueless about. It's a given to maximize whatever aid you can get from the government, and to complete your FAFSA as early as Jan 1st. But as the title of my post explains, I'm looking for feedback on Private Student Loans.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luscher wrote:

Thanks for the advice, but it's not federal aid that I'm completely clueless about. It's a given to maximize whatever aid you can get from the government, and to complete your FAFSA as early as Jan 1st. But as the title of my post explains, I'm looking for feedback on Private Student Loans.

My advice would be to not do it. Private student loans carry all the risk of an unsecured loan, with absolutely no recourse if you fall on severely hard times and no incentive to help during those times.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

People seem to not understand what I'm asking out of this thread lol. I've done my research. I know the pro's and con's of taking out private student loans. I'm not asking what alternatives there are to taking them out. I'm also not asking whether or not I should take them out at all.

I'm simply asking SPECIFICALLY WHEN I should apply for it (because I know people here have experience with it). If you could just answer that one question, that would be great.... Thanks lol..

Message 7 of 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

You can apply at anytime. I have taken one out before and applied at the end of the term for a loan because I had no other way to pay for it. But it shouldn't matter. They normally ask what term it will be used for anyway.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're not getting the answer you want because you are essentially asking a bunch of people who want to help you when is the best time to make a bad financial decision. To a group of people who have made financial mistakes in the past and who have dedicated dozens of hours and money trying to correct those mistakes and learning how to prevent the same mistakes or additional mistakes from occuring in the future, the proper time to apply for a private student loan is never.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You're not getting the answer you want because you are essentially asking a bunch of people who want to help you when is the best time to make a bad financial decision. To a group of people who have made financial mistakes in the past and who have dedicated dozens of hours and money trying to correct those mistakes and learning how to prevent the same mistakes or additional mistakes from occuring in the future, the proper time to apply for a private student loan is never.

You speak as if taking out a private student loan in itself is a mistake. And those people you talk about that have made mistakes have made as many mistakes with loans that came from the government. It's not isolated and limited to just private student loans.

I've studied up. It seems like you think I've done otherwise and made private student loans my first resort, instead of looking towards federal aid, work study, and out of pocket capabilties. I've budgeted what I need to for the next two years of my education and even years beyind that. And I know exactly how much I need to take out in student loans. I'm simply looking for someone to tell me, "Do it a couple of months before you start school" or "You need at least 30 days like I did etc etc." If the title of my thread was, "How was your experience with private student loans?" or "Private student loans: yay or nay" then I would accept all the replies so far with open arms, but seeing as only one of the most recent replies is even the close to legitimately answering my question, I'm still left wondering the answer to my question. 

But thanks for your two cents, nonetheless.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.