New Visitor
ebelenit

Why are student loans seen as a negative on credit report?

My report states "The balances on your non-mortgage credit accounts are too high."

Those accounts are my student debts. They are over 100k. Anything I can do with them to reclassify/improve my score?

Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Why are student loans seen as a negative on credit report?

Welcome!

Did this come from your EQ FICO report? I'm guessing because I believe it is an EQ FICO scoring code. If so, your FICO report will show the top 0-4 things hurting your FICO and the top 0-4 things helping your FICO. These vary based on what's inside your CR. They are ranked in order with the #1 slot hurting the most and the last slot hurting the least, and the same applies for the positive factors.

FICO was developed with input from lenders. A lender tends to be more cautious with someone with a lot of outstanding loans as someone with no outstanding loans. In other words, someone with more debt tends to be more risky financially, even if paid 100% on time. This particular scoring code is very minor and isn't dinging you all that much. In fact, if the SLs are older removing them would likely result in a score drop. FICO really doesn't ding all that much when adding a loan, otherwise everyone would get dinged for adding a car loan, a SL, a personal loan, etc., and that's not the case. I bet that if you paid off all of your SLs tomorrow to $1, the comment will go away but the score wouldn't change. Installment utilization is practically non-existent per FICO scoring. I wouldn't worry about it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+