cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I qualify for private student loan finally?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will I qualify for private student loan finally?

I took a year off because I couldn't qualify for a student loan last year. I worked and worked. I was able to qualify for a mortgage this year. My concern is about the student loan though. I am asking for 10k in the fall (I get a refund for spring). 

Income is 55k a year (3 years of self employment).

Mortgage 800 a month

Credit cards limits -- 18k, 2.9k, 1.3k, 2.9k, 1.4k, NPSL (current spending ability at 23k).

Balances (credit cards total reporting 800)

Student loan in deferment is 5.6k

Scores 740,729, 719

Credit history is 1 year 11 months. Do I have to wait until August when I have two years of history to apply? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Will I qualify for private student loan finally?

If your income is only 55k can you try qualifying for Fafsa first? Because when I've had to apply their was an income of 70ishk due to my parents needing to be on there too mainly to see if we made under the threshold and got approved. You could try that, they don't pull credit only your w-2.

Otherwise Sallie Mae is worth a shot. I have a firstmark services loan also. They only loan 10k at a time per loan. Like that's the Max you can request and then need another requests. They didn't pull my credit at least HP it. But will need to qualify so they must be a SP. At least was for me.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still a "dependant" under FAFSA rules, so I don't qulaify for much at all through them :/ I need the 10k to pay for school so looks like private loans are my only option. 

Does Sallie Mae or Discover need 2 years of history? 

Message 3 of 4
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I don't have experience with either of those. I have looked into them. The only thing I know about Sallie Mae is that my partner had them as a loan provider and his mother needed to co sign. But that's also because he had no credit at the time.

With discover I know a co signor can help your interest rate.

For either loan as long as your DTI isnt high and your income is considered sufficient with your report that would help. Because that's another reason a co signor might be helpful.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.