Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying off student loans...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will paying off student loans...

I am currently a junior in college and by the time I graduate in a year, I will have about $20,000 in student loans reporting on my credit reports. Will paying the full balance upon graduation do anything to my credit scores?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Will paying off student loans...

It depends on what other installment loans you have.  If you have other installment loans and the balance owed on those loans is not signifcantly lower than the original balance you borrowed, then yes, paying off your student loans will temporarily have a negative impact on your credit score.  But if you have another installment loan where the balance in relation to what you originally borrowed is pretty low, then no, you won't see as big of an impact.

Even with this said, there are great benefits to getting your student loan debt paid off sooner rather than later as it saves you money in interest in the long run.  The closed accounts will remain on your credit for 10years in good standing.

Also, if you have other baddies on your report that are pulling your score down, then this impact would likely be pretty minimal in comparison.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.