cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying on student loans during deferment improve credit score?

tag
Over700by2016

Will paying on student loans during deferment improve credit score?

Hello everyone,

I just graduated and my student loans are in deferment until November of this year.  I am trying to rebuild my credit and was wondering if my credit score would improve by making payments on my student loan while in deferment.  The trade line for my student loans says "student loan payment deferred".

If I make small payments of $50 per month until November will my payments be reported to the credit bureaus and impact my credit score in a postive way?

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Will paying on student loans during deferment improve credit score?

When your loan is deferred, it reports "paid as agreed" each month, the same as if you were making regular payments on time.  Starting to pay now may save you some interest in the long run, but it won't have any impact on your credit score.

Message 2 of 4
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@SCF wrote:

When your loan is deferred, it reports "paid as agreed" each month, the same as if you were making regular payments on time.  Starting to pay now may save you some interest in the long run, but it won't have any impact on your credit score.

1+

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 4
Over700by2016

Thank you!  Makes sense.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.