cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying student loans increase my FICO?

tag
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Will paying student loans increase my FICO?

Quick question:

I am rebuilding my credit and currently have two student loans in deferrment.  Always have been paid as agreed- except one of them with a 30 day late in 2008.  Question_ they aren't scheduled to come out of deferrment until May- however if I were to take them out of deferrment and start paying them every month- would it help to increase my FICO score?  I currently have NO credit cards or any other loan accounts.  So basically, I have NO accounts showing that I am currently paying a balance on.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Will paying student loans increase my FICO?

@bruiseviolet wrote:

Quick question:

I am rebuilding my credit and currently have two student loans in deferrment.  Always have been paid as agreed- except one of them with a 30 day late in 2008.  Question_ they aren't scheduled to come out of deferrment until May- however if I were to take them out of deferrment and start paying them every month- would it help to increase my FICO score?  I currently have NO credit cards or any other loan accounts.  So basically, I have NO accounts showing that I am currently paying a balance on.  

Your deferment status has nothing to do with how much your payments are affecting your FICO score.  As long as your accounts are reporting positively, you will see an increase in your score over time, as your length of credit history becomes longer.

Some others might suggest that you get at least one credit card to help establish/rebuild your credit history.  That is entirely up to you, & I'm not encouraging or discouraging you.  Just giving you information Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.