cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will they take my income tax if im in rehab.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will they take my income tax if im in rehab.

So they took my taxes this year! I went into rehab in May. Regional Adjustment Bureau has taken over my SAML, and they told me they WOULD NOT as long as I am in the program. Also I have read some people rehab for 9 months. These people told me 9-12 months! Does anyone have any additional information?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Will they take my income tax if im in rehab.

Your income tax is subject to seizure until the request to remove the offset has been received and processed by the IRS.  There is a 1-800 # that you can call to verify the status of your offset and see who is responsible for it.  I think I've read that some CAs will send in the release after a certain number of months, and others wait until the rehab has been completed and the loan has been sold to a new servicer.  Next year I would definitely check the hotline before you file your taxes to make sure that the offset was lifted properly, it can take some time even after the CA files for the release for the IRS to update.

As far as 9-12 months, there can be delays in getting your loan picked up by a new servicer.  A couple years ago, delays of several months were very common.  Lately, it seems like most rehab'd loans are picked up very quickly.  If there is a delay, you are required to continue making payments to the CA until you receive information from your new servicer that they now hold the loan.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.