cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windham Professionals (please help)

tag
maliba

Windham Professionals (please help)

I just started a new job and would like to start paying on my students loans which are currently in default. The first agency that I contacted was Windham Professionals I spoke to a young man by the name of Harold who stated that I have 6 defaulted loans totaling $62,919.17. I told him that I would like to enter their Rehabilition Program and he stated that I have 24 hours to secure a payment plan with them otherwise they are going to garnish my wages. He said my interest rate is 6.8% and my payments are going to be $725.00 and that I would have to make the payment by the end of the month and subsequenlty for 8-10 months. I told him that I cannot afford that payment with my bills and currently paying on other student loans. He stated that if I do not contact him by tomorrorow that they will garnish my wages. I also asked him to send the terms of the Rehab program including the payment amount and due date he stated he could not send me any information until I made a payment arrangement and that he will gladly accept a credit card or checking account over the phone today. I stated that I did not feel comfortable giving out my personal financial information without having something in writing he said he cannot send me information not even via email until I've made a payment. He also told me not to file my tax returns and that if i did they would be garnished so he suggested filing next year. I am in total shock and in tears Woman Sad can anyone recommend how I should approach this? I cannot afford the $725.00 there must be a way that I can reduce my monthly payments. Any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Windham Professionals (please help)

There is no minimum payment for rehabbing student loans. You need to look at your budget and come up with an amount you can counteroffer with. Rehab requires 9 months of payments, so make sure that it's an amount you can commit to.

That said - none of the folks who rehabbed got any kind of paperwork. I know I didn't. But go back & don't let him scare you. Negotiate and find a workable solut
Message 2 of 19
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

*solution. Sorry - posting while at a restaurant. I got cut off Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 19
kjel
Established Contributor

Windham sucks. I have a collection acount (non student loan) from my university with them but have finally made some headway. I also let the school know of my difficulties with them. You have to keep calling until you find someone reasonable to work with.

I'm in rehab with CBE and just made my 9th payment. They were quite reasonable to deal with and offered me a payment of $13/month on $100K because my prior year's income was so low and my family size. I offered $50/month which they accepted and I had to submit a copy of my prior year tax return to them for verification. They should offer you something similar especially if you are undergoing some financial hardship. They also advised me not to file taxes due to a possible offset but that was not an option for me because my daughter is in college and needs a FAFSA filing early in the spring for the best aid package. I called the Dept. of Treasury and verified that I did not have an offset and filed my taxes. Alternatively you can file an extension because once you are underway with rehab you are not subject to offset.

Use the Income Based Repayment (IBR) calculator at http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-based/calculator to come up with a reasonable payment. Submit a written proposal sent certified return receipt mail and ask for a response within 10-21 days from them-keep a copy for your records. Do not give them your account information or feel pressured into setting something up immediately which is what Windham likes to do. Even though I am being serviced by CBE, my payments go directly to the Dept. of Education.

Here's the official overview of the program: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/default/get-out

Dispute Resolution/Ombudsman: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/disputes/prepare

To check if you are on the Dept. of Treasury Offset List call the number on this page: http://www.fms.treas.gov/debt/top.html

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 4 of 19
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

I cannot STAND Windham Professionals. I just finished dealing with them.

I had a private student loan that was assigned to them by Sallie Mae, and it was about $2,600 with fees. I got them to settle it down to $1,500, I wanted to go down further, but that was all they would do. I guess I'm grateful for that, because if they ended up suing me or garnishing my wages, I would have had to pay the full amount.

1. I thought a CA was NOT allowed to threaten that they would garnish your wages?

2. Big coincidence that the day that you called was 24 hours prior to them planning on garnishing your wages

3. If you're rehabbing, it has to be an amount that you're comfortable with. Windham is extremely difficult, but you can make it work. Ask to speak with Sherri, she was really nice to me.

4. When I rehabbed (not through them) I didn't get any paperwork either in the beginning either.

5. If you can prove financial hardship, they HAVE to lower your payments- For my 25K in SL, I'm paying $100 a month for 9 months for Rehabbing them. They would have even went down further if I asked, but I got scared that a potential buyer would pass on me if I were only making $50 payments for 25K loans. 

Message 5 of 19
maliba

I'd like to thank all of you for your replies, you have made feel a whole lot better about my situation and that I can actually get through this. I called the Dept of Treasuary and unfortunately I am on their offset list thanks to @kjel for that information. Also @kjel would you by any chance have a sample proposal letter that I can send to Windham?

I am definitely going to call back and see if I can get someone different on the phone. When I set up my payment plan how would recommend setting it up electronic Smiley Sad, credit/debit card, money order or check?

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate your feedback!

Message 6 of 19
twall06
Frequent Contributor

When I started my rehab with FMS and NCO they asked me my income and my monthly expenses for rent , groceries, insurance , and everything else then we worked out a payment I could afford . This company should do the same my gf had to deal with them and their customer service is awful and they pretty much harass people.
Message 7 of 19
kjel
Established Contributor

@maliba wrote:

@I'd like to thank all of you for your replies, you have made feel a whole lot better about my situation and that I can actually get through this. I called the Dept of Treasuary and unfortunately I am on their offset list thanks to @kjel for that information. Also @kjel would you by any chance have a sample proposal letter that I can send to Windham?

I am definitely going to call back and see if I can get someone different on the phone. When I set up my payment plan how would recommend setting it up electronic Smiley Sad, credit/debit card, money order or check?

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate your feedback!

You're welcome. You didn't say who the originator of the loans being serviced by Windham is so depending who they belong to would determine the decision on how you should pay. They should at the very least tell you where your payments should be sent and you ALWAYS have the option to pay via paper check through snail mail. My payments go directly to the Dept. of Education so I send a paper check via my bank's bill pay to them. Windham has an electronic payment portal that I pay my collection through, I enter the info myself and it comes out via direct debit on a one time only basis. Windham gives off a weird vibe so I am not willing to give their reps my info directly over the phone or let them have an automated payment (just set yourself a reminder to pay before the due date). Don't use a money order, you want to be able to see the check or electronic debit clear your account for recordkeeping purposes.

I don't have a letter, but I'd start with the IBR calculation based on family size and income as a payment amount and then adjust for what other expenditures or extenuating circumstances you might have to reduce that amount without putting you in the poor house. Request/suggest an amount that you confidently know that you can pay over the next 9 months without issue because you absolutely have to make on time payments. Folks here have paid anywhere between $50 and $750 a month from what I've seen based on their particular circumstance. Basically you just need to justify the proposed amount.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 8 of 19
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Windham isn't the servicer; they're a collection agency assigned by the Default Resolution Group (DOE). There wouldn't be anyone else with collection authority.  I know, because I tried to see if there was anyone else I could work with besides the assigned collection agency.

I think much depends on the agency. I've rehabbed with two of them, and one was fine to deal with, very straight up. The other was a pain, like Kjel said - gave off a weird vibe. Hang in there, Maliba. I'm hoping you find someone over there who's at least easier to deal with.

Message 9 of 19
maliba

@kjel the originator of my loan is AES/PHEAA see when I called I was never given the option to send the payment anywhere all I was told that they can take the payment over the phone today. I was under the impression that my payments were going directly to Windham so that I understand correctly when going through a rehab your are paying the origninator and not the CA? Also will the CA fees eventually drop or can I negotiate those?

I am going to keep calling until I can find someone that is willing to work with me. Thanks again!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.