Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a little complicated...

tag
txmetalhead
Established Member

a little complicated...

I went to a 4-year university straight out of high school (dummy move with this particular school....anyway) & was supposed to receive financial aid in the form of loans. For some reason, after school year was over and I wanted to take summer courses I found out they took the loans that previously would cover my financial aid (originally I had promissory notes from the school until the aid in loan form came in) with no real explanation. Without going into excruciating detail while typing on a tablet, I'll just say that I spent more than 5 hrs being bounced between offices with no real explanation at any given point in time. Was forced to drop out due to financial restraints & now I'd like to transfer to a different school with an actual program in my profession but of course school has transcripts. I really do NOT want to pay this school a DIME for ripping me off but I suppose that's my only way to finish my education due to the whole holding my transcripts hostage thing...any advice? Can I get any loans that can alleviate this? ANY remedies are greatly appreciated . This is from 2008-2009 schoolyear.

Please note I also did eventually speak to somebody who said SHE understood what went awry BUT since aid year was passed there was nothing that she could do because I could no longer receive the aid for an outdated aid schoolyear.

Starting Score: 618 EQ / 629 CK
Current Score: 618 EQ / 629 CK
Goal Score: 700 for ALL 3 CRAs

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: a little complicated...

If you owe the debt to the school, and the school's policy is that they don't release transcripts without settling the debt you've got two options - do without the transcripts, or work with the school and settle the debt.  If they haven't sent the amount to a collection agency, then they clearly aren't all that worried about getting the full amount.  I would get back in touch with the school (hopefully with this person who understands what happened) and explain that you want to settle this situation, but you don't feel like you were complicit in the situation.  Hopefully a little pushing in that direction will result in an offer that you can live with.

Otherwise, do you absolutely have to have the transcripts?  Depending on what courses you took, getting the transfer credit may not be worth the time or energy...

Message 2 of 4
txmetalhead
Established Member

Well, I'm in TX & each school I've looked at requires the transcript regardless or whether or not you're interested in the credits transferring. It's required with the application. Otherwise, I'd gladly go without...I'm in community college right now & roughly 90% of credits earned to date are from there.

Message 3 of 4
txmetalhead
Established Member

Oh & thank you for advice!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.