Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad credit student loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

bad credit student loan

I have spent the last year repairing my credit. When I was younger I would ignore my CC bills. I do not have a big problem with buying things, but just when the bills would come I would ignore them. So I had a few credit cards shut down. This happened in 2007 and 2009. Anyway, the last year I have paid the balances on these cards and been diligent about paying my bills every month. I have graduated with a BA. At this time I applying and have been accepted to bachelors degree in nursing programs. How will I finance this? The tuitions are very high because the programs are not funded by the state since they are accelerated second degree programs. The first place which accepted me is 40k a year and I would have to move out of state.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: bad credit student loan

Hi Flesh:

Do you currently have any currently defaulted student loans?  If not, (and assuming you havent hit your federal loan cap), then you should still qualify for federal student loans.  Now, you likely will not qualify for enough to cover 40k a year though, so this is where private student loans would come in to play.  Without good credit, you likely would not be able to qualify for a private student loan as unlike federal loans, these do take your credit history into play.  You may need a co-signer with a strong credit history and ability to pay to sign for a private loan.

Have you talked with the financial aide office at the school you would like to go to?  A better route may be to go to a community college for any lower level courses that you may have to take and then go to the larger institution to finish up the degree.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 4
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have spent the last year repairing my credit. When I was younger I would ignore my CC bills. I do not have a big problem with buying things, but just when the bills would come I would ignore them. So I had a few credit cards shut down. This happened in 2007 and 2009. Anyway, the last year I have paid the balances on these cards and been diligent about paying my bills every month. I have graduated with a BA. At this time I applying and have been accepted to bachelors degree in nursing programs. How will I finance this? The tuitions are very high because the programs are not funded by the state since they are accelerated second degree programs. The first place which accepted me is 40k a year and I would have to move out of state.

Why not try a A.D.program? It will cut down on your hours requirements, still get you a RN license, and since you already do have a Bachelor's degree, you might not even need a BSN to get into a graduate nursing program if you so desire. Besides, the pay isn't any different, or minimal at best for the BSN.  Your university has financial counselors with multiple options, they have seen everything and usually have avenues for all students. But I must say, 40K a year for undergraduate is waaaaaaayyyyy pricey for sure.  You can do better.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the late repy. I have not defaulted on any student loans. My credit score now is 619, I checked my two other scores the trans is 603, and the one on creditsesame.com is 634. I have 3 cards which are maxed out. I am going to pay these cards off before May (have a big check coming). If I pay these cards off (I think 4500 total) will this boost my credit enough to get a private loan?

Also, I am doing an accelerated ABSN program. I have taken the prereqs at community college. The schools I am looking at now I can live at home and the tuition is not as high 20-27k.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.