Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do student loans fall off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

do student loans fall off?

I'm wondering if student loan debts fall off your credit report.. I was getting ready to start a rehab program on them but one of them opened in May 2011 the other 2012 and the other 2014. 

I'm sure I can't pick and chose which ones I would like to rehab. 

They all only show a payment history for 2017 and just say FP not indicating how many days late.. 

Thoughts?? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: do student loans fall off?

Depending on the type of loan they can fall off of your report, but not all of them do.  It is important to remember though, that just because they may be off of your report, you are still obligated to pay them back and will whether you like it or not!  They can take tax returns and garnish wages for not paying them.  Personally, I would rather set up the rehab agreement and take care of it!

FP means you failed to pay.  They are in default at this point, so they don't mark them with a derogatory day number, but creditors will know what that stands for.  

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the reply! I got the ball rolling on rehab.. I wasn't expecting the monthly payments to be so high. It would've been much easier to communicate with great lakes and get reasonable payments set up before it got to this point. oh well.. I need to buckle down and tackle this. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it makes you feel any better, my IBR payments after rehab are actually lower than what I was paying while doing the rehab.  It seemed like a lot to me at the time as well, but I made it work and now I am still paying the same amount even though I don't have to.  

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is the specific type of the federal student loan?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can rebuild your credit.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's a direct subsidized loan

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.