Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

effect of student loan going from deferment to in-repayment on FICO score

tag
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

effect of student loan going from deferment to in-repayment on FICO score

on my last credit report, my reported balance on student loans was zero -- presumably because my student loans then were in deferment

Now my loans are officially in repayment, and I expect to see a $30,000 balance on my next credit report. I suspect my FICO score will take a hit, but maybe it won't be so bad? I mean, FICO likes to see accounts being paid down reliably, and that's what I'm doing.

So just looking what to expect here. I'm nearly at 700 but I think this might set me back a bit

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: effect of student loan going from deferment to in-repayment on FICO score

i've never heard of anyone's student loans showing as zero because of deferment.  That's pretty strange.  Although installment loans are not a high percentage of your overall score, I would imagine that 30k of debt magically appearing on your reports will hurt you somewhat.  Has anyone else ever experienced this?  Mine have always shown their balances.

Message 2 of 4
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Recently some federal school loans showed zero balance because of the technology transition. Mine are consolidated through Direct Loans, and they showed zero for a while. Now they are back to normal. That could be what happened. My scores didn't wiggle around much during that time, so it didn't have any sort of effect on me.

Message 3 of 4
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

maybe the tech thing explains it... I vaguely recall that one day, maybe two or three months ago, my loans were in deferment for no reason. Also the servicing site was down. It was a total mess.

not much I can do about it in any case. thanks for the info

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.